• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

General Question Regarding Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Mills

Freshman Member
I just finished an FHA Appraisal of a 1950’s traditional style home which had several conditions I called out however I wanted to see what the rest of you think regarding two of them.

1. The fan hood above the stove is missing. In the past I have always called this out however I’m not fully sure that I have ever read or seen in the regulations that one is required for minimum FHA standards?

2. The shared Cinder Block wall on the east side of the property looks as if it is about to fall over should a hard wind blow on it. My instincts tell me that this is a health/safety issue as a small child could lean against or pull on the wall and have it crash down upon him. Also if I condition the wall should I have it subject to inspection of a certified contractor or such as to take the call out of my hands?

Any impute or suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks,

Jeff

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
1) I think there is something somewhere about a minimum height above a stove for a cabinet bottom if there is no hood. ??????? I would take a picture of it and include it in the report if there is a cabinet over the range. State that it may/might be too close to heat from the range to be safe. Then let the UW decide what s/he wants to do about it.

2) The wall I would definately call to have checked by a qualified expert. Again, take a picture of it, state what you saw and that it may/might be a safety issue if it were to collapse, and call for a professional inspection.

This way, you have reported what you saw, what might cause a problem, and left the liability in the hands of the Underwriter or some other inspector.

I take a ton of pictures now and feel better knowing I have them.

Richard J. Glesser

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
As usual, great advice from Pam. I'll second that advice. :usa:

Wally Jones

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Jeff,

What Pam said.

But, I have a question. Is the fan hood missing - as in - it used to be there but some of the stuff is gone? Or - is it missing - as in - there never was a fan hood there?

If it looks like there used to be one there ( I see often see them where the former owner took the fan and lights out), then I'd condition the report on restoring it to working condition.

If there was never one there to begin with, then I probably wouldn't condition it unless it presented a potential safety issue, as Pam mentioned above.

And, as Pam noted, good pictures help the UW see what you're describing and will help them make a decision.

Jeff Mills

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the great advice…As for the fan hood:

It appears that it was there at one time and was just taken out. There is a cabinet above the stove with the aluminum duct work that attaches to the fan unit. What got me starting to wonder is I have been in many older SFRs 1920’s to 1950’s without any fan or fan hood at all. Is it really necessary to comply with minimum standards?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jeff:

Many modern homes have fan hoods that do nothing except recirculate the air out into the room. If a fire flares up they do very little to prevent it's spread, but then again they probably do more than a grease laden flue with forced air helping the flames along! IF they have a commercial gas stove with no hood that also could be a problem... so as usual it depends :rolleyes:

Given your situitation it would appear that there might be a problem with having an open flue.... I guess I would call for replacement under the conditions you describe.

IF the cabinet is sufficiently high enough over the stove so as not to create a fire hazard, or if there is no cabinets at all above the stove area, in no way does FHA intend that you should insist on one being installed there. Older homes in my work area seldom require any repairs of that sort....

As I hear over and over from MY HOC (Home Ownership Center) HUD is not in the code enforement business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks