• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

General Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobber

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hi all,

I have read most of the newbie topics till I needed eye drops, some were insightful, some were discouraging. I would like to become a commercial appraiser some day since I think that seems challenging and interesting. I hope appraisal is a career that I can enjoy. I am going to graduate from a Southern California College and will take my AT exam sometime this Fall. Now on to the questions I have at the moment.

1. Work Experience - Is work experience recorded when an order is placed and not counted when you just clock in 8am - 5pm?

2. Work Experience - On Category 10 of the OREA handbook, where does the 400 hours of work experience count as? Can it be counted towards commercial?

3. Generally speaking, who are the appraisal big companies? If it is too broad, commercial and residential.

4. Are there entry level positions where it is salary based? If so, what are they?

5. Appraiser group - Is there a southern California member appraisal group anyone can recommend? Preferably free or low cost in membership. Is AI a group worth joining?

Last edited:

fobber

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hmmm, were my questions inappropriate to ask since no one answered?

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
1. Work Experience - Is work experience recorded when an order is placed and not counted when you just clock in 8am - 5pm?

You'll have to check with your state on the matter. I can tell you that simply being an employee is not enough, nor will that hours of employment count. You actually have to be doing appraisal work, and recording it in the manner the state sets forth.

2. Work Experience - On Category 10 of the OREA handbook, where does the 400 hours of work experience count as? Can it be counted towards commercial?
I can't answer that...I'm not from CA.

3. Generally speaking, who are the appraisal big companies? If it is too broad, commercial and residential.
There are many national and regional companies. A good way to start finding out who some of them are is to search your local Appraisal Institute Directory. The local one here lists all members and associates, as well as their contact info. Many of the MAIs work for large firms.

4. Are there entry level positions where it is salary based? If so, what are they?
I haven't been corporate in 16 years, so I don't know what starting salaries are.

5. Appraiser group - Is there a southern California member appraisal group anyone can recommend? Preferably free or low cost in membership. Is AI a group worth joining?

If you're going commercial, join the Appraisal Institute. It will only be a few hundred dollars a year, and it will be the best investment you ever made. It will give you the contacts you need. Many large firms are either run by, or employ, designated AI members.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Hmmm, were my questions inappropriate to ask since no one answered?

Nope - just asked in a forum in which few folks would have answers about this type of work- David moved your query over here to see what might shake loose from folks more knowledgeable in the commercial field!

Like David I am also from a vastly different market. I am quite sure you have read all the doom and gloom, about this being a very difficult (near impossible) time to move into ANY area of the appraisal profession, and many experienced and seasoned residential folk are making the leap to General...

However as my father in law used to say - There is always room at the top.

So how do you ensure you become the purty polished apple 'at the top?'

In contacting those commercial firms and individual MAI/General appraisers I would ask them what I could do during these hard times to best position myself toward future employability in the field! They may have some surprising answers. Take note of those who have any positives to share and stay in touch. REGULARLY.

Also take note of those who are highly negative... many of them will be out of business within a few months or years, others will survive and were merely being cognizant of and honestly reporting their prediction of hard times to come.

I would actually start a spreadsheet or database with response sets... track it over time say 9-12 months. That alone might get you hired down-line...:icon_idea:

You might also consider seriously beating at the door of state and local government positions. Excellent qualififcations and dumb luck might open that back door way into employment in this feild.

fobber

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Thank you for the replies. I read the California OREA handbook but it was not clear to me on how some of the statements were applicable, therefore I asked on the forum hoping someone can clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks