• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

geodesic domes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack sheffrin

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
has anyone appraised a dome home? I have an assignment to do on one. need since insight of your experience.

SharperImage

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Dome Home of the Future!

Good luck, I've done one about 20 years ago and it was a real pain in the you know what. Don't forget to use pi when determining the square footage. After that, I got out of residential and stuck to commercial.

You may have to do some digging and go outside of the norm to get this done. You may have to go back sometime as well. Are there other Domes in your area?

Sharper

Last edited:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I've done three 8 sided houses one of which I did twice.

No similar comps (of course). What you have to do is find houses with similar site and size/utility. Then you have to figure out if this design is a plus of minus in the market. Check any old sales of the property or any similar anywhere and see if you can measure a market reaction to the design. Don't automatically think it will be a negative though if the market really loved the design, you could surmise that there would be a lot more of them.

The only thing you can do is to work it through systematically and explain everything.

Attachments

• 8 sided house.jpg
    8 sided house.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 8 sided house photo.jpg
    8 sided house photo.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 56

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I did one a year or so ago. It's wasn't really fun but I don't think I had any real problems with it. I put in a very dated dome sale and picked the ugliest comps I could find.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
They are a pain to sketch, but Apex can do it.

I do one about every ten to twelve years and I did the last one about six years ago so I'm off the hook for another four to six years.

Even though I feel your pain not much to offer except that you explain your logic in your report. There probably aren't any comps so no one will throw many or large rocks at you as long as the logic is reasonable.

Ed Falkowski MAI SRA

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
has anyone appraised a dome home? I have an assignment to do on one. need since insight of your experience.

You might want to contact Ed Molinari, SRA. He's in Woodbury, NJ and is an AI instructor. I took a class with him and he described his experience appraising such a house. I don't know how long ago he did it or even where it's located, but here's his info: http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/s...pid09=&pid10=&tbm=B&vpl=S&sbmt3.x=0&sbmt3.y=0.
Good luck!

Jan Roseberry

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Roofs can be problematic!

This one was all metal except kitchen and bathroom cabinets. They aren't a picnic, the more contemporary designs, log and underground homes are usually accepted as comps.

Last edited:

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
There are a couple of threads of ones I have done here in Wisconsin in about the last 18 to 24 months. I posted pictures of both of them as well.

I used comparables from similar rural markets across the state. I think I ended up with three or four. Matter of fact I just seen on the other day that I had no clue it was sitting there. Been up and down that county road for the last 15 years or so and never notice it before.

They can be a pain in the butt to do at times. The ones I did had upper levels as well. One even had a basement.

Good luck.

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
RUN! :rof:

Try and get plans and spec. and First and FOREMOST! Charge a ton!
You will earn it! You may well need to expand your comp area to maybe the entire State!

jack sheffrin

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
thanks for your responses so far. the diameter is 39.8feet which comes to about 1250sf on one level. The upstairs has about 1/4 of it open to below. I'm calculating about 2100sf total but the house seems so small inside. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths upstairs. It has a kitchen in the center, a family room, living and dining room and full bath on the main level. It seems like a beat up cape COD would be a good comp as the utility is not that great in the dome. It seems chopped up. It is all covered in shingles.
The area I am located is not rural at all but in the baltimore/washington corridor so comps in the country side would not appear to be viable. I think I will try to stick to homes of the same time period (1977) with smaller rooms and smaller baths and desirable lots. Subject is on a 30,000sf lot at the end of a dead end street.

I'm concerned about the sf calculations as 2100sf seems too large despite the diameter and the space upstairs.

Any more thoughts on these home?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks