• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Getting Hired as a Trainee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styleman01

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Colorado
I'm a 21 year old studying appraising and working on getting registered here in Colorado. I am, however, getting a little unmotivated figuring out where to go after passing the USPAP exam. Am I supposed to just call around appraising companies and ask if there's anyone willing to train me? And also, does anyone have any idea how much appraisers generally make a year?

DonRico

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Ah....the old "how much appraisers generally make a year" question.

Picture a bell curve with $30K on one side and $130K on the other. Your future yearly income will be somewhere in that big middle, depending on how valuable you are to a prospective employer.

Calling around for work is the general idea.....but you've got to present yourself as more valuable than the other dozen or so folks that have already called around before you, some just this morning.

Do you have any real estate experience? How about construction experience? Are you a Math major?......Good with numbers and stats?? Are you an English major?....can you form a complete sentence and convey facts in a narrative? Computer expert? Photography Buff? Multi-tasker? Phone wizard????

Did you take your courses in a classroom environment? Did you network with any of the folks in class? Know anybody in the banking business? Title companies?

Like I said...make yourself more valuable than the other dozen or so folks that have already called around before you, some just this morning.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
styleman,
I usually don't post on here but I am a HUGE Broncos fan so I will help you out....Call around, it may take 10 calls it may take 100 calls. Just keep calling....At first, you will probably work for free until you can do things on your own. Don't take it personally. Put yourself in your mentor's shoes....You are taking away from his time. Why pay you? It sucks but the quicker you learn it (from this site, the internet, books, etc.,) the quicker you get paid. Hope it helps

Artyman1200

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Go to the commercial side. Big future there for young motivated individuals. Take 6 or 7 of the required courses for the MAI, get required college education and you're set. You can work for a small shop or get in Cushman & Wakefield, CBRE, or whoever. No joke...

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Tough time to be getting into the residential side of things. I agree with Daniel on going the commercial route. If you get have a BS, a few classes & are willing to learn, you should have no problem

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Definitely change your major. Just kidding, definitely find a firm with commercial work. Take stats classes, you'll need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks