• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Getting Out of the Appraisal Profession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Anderson

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
After over ten years as a Certified Residential Appraiser I have decided to give it up. I am going to move up to Northern California wine country and concentrate on my stock photography business. I have listed a bunch of books in the for sale section and I also have a bunch of Los Angeles and Orange County California NDC comp books from the 90s on that I need to get rid of. If any of you do retrospective appraisals these books are priceless! Email me if you want them.

[email protected]

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Best of Luck to you and yours!. (keep the Cert. handy and go introduce yourself to wine loving Attorneys)

Bama Bayou

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Alabama
Good luck and have a great time Neil. I have to agree with Mike, though. You have put in too much time and effort to get certified so you may want to keep it and just do high fee properties.

McPheeters

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Shooting for stock is a great business, I did it for a few years during the late 80's early 90's. That area of Cali should offer endless possibilities for stock photos! I too am with Mike and BB....keep that Cert, you just never know......

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Best wishes for a sucessful new direction in your life. Ice that license, you might want to jump back in sometime.

Workbox

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Cheers! and many blessing and good luck.

Roscoeman

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Good Luck!

Neil,

What part of Northern California are you headed for? I am originally from Napa/Sonoma Counties and it is truly God's Country, moved to Southern Oregon about three years ago.

Mike Boyd can probably tell you all the great places to visit!!!

I am with the rest, keep your Certified license! If you ever go back into the business I can introduce you to some really good appraisers around there!

Neil Anderson

Professional Status
State
California
Thanks to everybody for the well wishes. I have always enjoyed this forum because the people here are here because they are professionals concerned with the profession. My appraisal license expires on the 19th of next month and I haven't decided what to do about it. Even if I applied for renewal, the OREA says it takes three months!

I love appraising but I've had issues with the way the business works, especially when it comes to getting new clients. I am a very good appraiser in my opinion. But I'm not a good marketer or salesperson. It seems that the only way to get new mortgage business is to promise high values and do endless "comp checks," something I absolutely refuse to do. And I've lost my client base over the years because of it.

Since I am also in the mortgage business, I would have appraisers come into my real estate office at least once a week to pitch me for my mortgage business. The promises they made were so ILLEGAL that I used to go into a lecture but I finally resigned to the fact that these are the people who are going to get the majority of the mortgage business. This is because most mortgage offices hire nothing but inexperienced and unlicensed telemarketers with not only a lack of ethics but no knowledge of the law.

I would LOVE to continue appraising but I think I've become too cynical!

Thanks again to everybody!

Neil,

What part of Northern California are you headed for? I am originally from Napa/Sonoma Counties and it is truly God's Country, moved to Southern Oregon about three years ago.

I am going to Petaluma. Where are you in Southern Oregon? I was considering Ashland for a while but my best friend is in Marin and I have quite a few friends in the city.

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Neil,

See if your state has an "inactive' status for appraisal licensing....something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks