• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Getting Rid of Vault/Exact

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobie

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
It's been discussed before how many cheap alternatives there are to Vault, but the only reason I really paid for it was to get the preference backup of Exact.

Is there a relatively easy method for duplicating what Exact does or some other way to backup sigs, text databases, quicklists etc. I really have no use for Vault but Exact could be a lifesaver - which is why, I guess, they bundle Exact with Vault.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
You can purchase the Norton Ghost and an external harddrive. This will accomplish what you want.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I have a second internal drive that automatically mirrors the "C" drive. If the main drive crashes, I swap SATA cables and keep on plugging from where I left off. Then, because I tend to be anal about data preservation, I use a service called "Mosy" that backs up to an off site server. It costs $29 a year. Yes, there are alternatives.

Professional Status
State
Kansas
I have a second internal drive that automatically mirrors the "C" drive. If the main drive crashes, I swap SATA cables and keep on plugging from where I left off. Then, because I tend to be anal about data preservation, I use a service called "Mosy" that backs up to an off site server. It costs $29 a year. Yes, there are alternatives.

But thats only good if the main drive fails. If it is corrupted such as your windows installation, you've mirrored that mess onto a second drive!

The bundle Exact with Vault simply to increase their revenue. It should be free and a standard feature to backup to wherever you want.

Brian W Street

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Good point Brad, I've been thinking about setting up a Raid drive to mirror the os drive but I never thought of it from your perspective. What good is the Raid array if the main os is corrupt? Assuming you can access or rebuild the array the only purpose would be to get the data files. If it is corrupt you might not even be able to access that so I think my plans have changed, Carbonite and dvd's for me.

I couldn't agree more, WinTotal in the most basic form should allow users to backup anything they want to anywhere they want. I reinstall the os at least once a year and even with Exact I have never had a successful reinstall of their product, never. I have found that it is best to start with a clean install. It is a shame that software this expensive does not offer this basic function.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
I am using carbonite.com for an online backup of my hard drive. Haven't had to restore or downlod yet but it works in the background. $50 per yr. Backs up everything the folders you select.

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Redundancy

I also use Carbonite. My two year subscription cost $90. It took almost six weeks, however, to upload 175GB. I had it save my whole Drive C. If I ever need to download, I will purchase their swap disk option and have them load my download on a hard drive for overnight delivery. Otherwise, it could take a couple weeks to restore.

In addition to Carbonite, I use Vault with a subscription for 2,000 files. I am thinking of updating my subscription to include another 2k files which will cover everything I've ever written in WinTotal.

Lastly, I have two external USB2 hard drives, a 300GB and a 1TB drive. I do a full back up every two weeks and alternate the destination drives. The full back-up only updates those files which have been altered or created since the last back-up on either drive.

Redundancy is a wonderful thing!

jtinmichigan

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I just make a copy of all files modified during the week on Friday and move them to an external drive, which is then disconnected until the folowing Friday and placed back in the fireproof safe. That way even if a lightning strike hits the system your files are there once you get the system back up and running. Takes five minutes a week. No additional fees.

jtinmichigan

Professional Status
State
Michigan
If a la modes software was as good as their marketing we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
USB-Flash Drives are a cheap and easy solution. I have a fireproof safe with both burned dvd's and flash drives. Multiple copies in multiple locations is the only way to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks