A friend of mine introduced me to an appraiser last summer who promised us both a job if we got our license. She said because of our real estate background and familiarity with the MLS she wouldn't mind training us. Her appraisers refused to travel to our area because of the distance and she was constantly having to refer these appraisals out. She promised to supply us with the software and E&O insurance for appraisals done through her. No pay during training, and we would have to travel to her office every day (1 1/2 hours away each way) but we could still do real estate part time to make up the money. Once we were trained she said she could give us 10 or more appraisals a week (all north of O'Hare). So we enrolled in school and restricted our hours in real estate to give us time to study. We studied a minimum of 2-5 hours a day and finished at the top of our class. I got a 100% and she got a 98% on the final exam. All during this time this appraiser kept checking in to see how we were doing. When we finished our classes she gave us a warning not to be too upset if we didn't pass the state test, but we would have a job when we did. So we went to take the test and passed it. When we called her she wasn't ready for us.... didn't expect us to pass on the 1st try. She said she had just finished training 2 new appraisers and she would be ready for us soon. So we gave her a couple weeks and started calling her again. She was too busy to return our calls. When we finally did get hold of her she said she was going on vacation in a couple of weeks and would call when she got back so we could start. Well she never called, so we called again.. Now there's no work and she has to let people go and she'll let us know if business ever picks up again. I don't know for sure, but it seems like she changed her mind a while ago and just didn't want to tell us. My friend is pretty depressed. I don't know if she'll ever go out looking or if she'll just sit around and wait for her friend to hire her. Personally, I don't think I'd go to work for her now even if she called tomorrow. I can understand that circumstances change, but why couldn't she just be honest with us instead of avoiding us? I can't work for someone I don't respect. I understand that being new means I'll be the 1st to go if business goes down, but I expect that I would be told so I could make alternate plans. Now I'm looking for a job with everyone else. I've had a couple of offers, but neither one will be ready for me within the next six to eight months and I don't want to wait that long. A couple of appraisers did tell me that they couldn't use anyone right now but they would keep my resume on file. I guess business is down all over. I actually had one appraiser tell me that he couldn't train me because he was too busy but that if I could get even 2 months training with a reputable appraiser he'd interview me. Now why would I leave someone that was willing to invest the time with me for someone who wasn't? That doesn't even make sense. I'm learning so much by reading through the posts on this forum. Sooo many things I never even thought of before. I'm really glad it's here. I don't know what's going to happen, but I WILL find a job and no matter what happens I'M NOT GIVING UP!!!!!!