• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Getting The First Appraisal Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Virginia Meyer

I'm needing some assists with how to approach various LOs. Are there any unwritten rules and ettiquette on how to professionnally sell my unexperience self to a potential client? Though I have an experienced Certified General Appraiser to mentor me (who says I need to get my own assignments, which is understandable), LOs are not wanting to take on a trainee for there appraisal needs ................ help me, pullleeeeezzze
Thank you for any decent words of wisdom you can send this way!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
As a trainee, you should not be marketing yourself. Market the services and experience of your mentor.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Ditto to Pam's comments about marketing your "Team".... not just yourself. Also, don't just rely on marketing to LO's. Market to attorney's, CPA's, financial manager's, asset manager's, etc., for estate or REO appraisals. Think outside of the box. The share of appraisal work from LO's is starting to dwindel with the rates going up. Long time relationships are hard to break into, espcially when things are slowing down.

V

Virginia Meyer

Thanks! I will check on these other sources outside the box. My mentor did give me a copy of his resume with references, education, membership and experience. I have found his name on various appraisal directories with his own personal statement of himself. Sooo, I'm putting together a letter of introduction now and am including his info. I hope this will work. Again, thank you, all. Any additional comments are all very much welcomed. :)

Kate

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
I don't have to find my own work but my sponcer is printing up buss. cards for me to hand out. They will have my name on them with all her buss. info.

So I would agree. You should have no problem marketing for your sponcer.

Kate

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
Supervising Appraiser to a trainee.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
V

Virginia Meyer

Thank you, DeeDee.

By the way, ya'll, I'm turning in my first appraisal this morning. Finally! I used ala mode and it was a cake walk. Many resources were also used. Another appraiser is looking it over for me and will be signing it off after any needed tweeking is done. He did go to the site and worked with me on it. My first time did take a little while, but once I got on a roll and a few verbal walk throughs in some areas I was rocking. The next step is to see how the lender responds to it. Wish me well, and thank you everyone for your support. :)

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Good luck, Virginia!
Let us know how it goes for you, and don't be offended if your first appraisal needs more tweeking than what you had expected. It's hard not to take all of the corrections personally when it feels like you've worked so hard to get it right, but over time you'll begin to recognize and understand what needs to be done in order to cut down on the mistakes and underwriter's red flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks