• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Gfi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
FHA say:

We are not code inspectors nor in the the bsuiness of requiring upgrades not specified by the 4150.2.

In oother words: not me.

I will grant you it might be considered a health and safety issue.

however:

San Mateo County, CA is now requiring full plumbed sprinkler system with spray heads in new construction residential properties due to the danger of fire... Are you going to require THAT upgrade, on the basis that a house 'might' catch fire? <_<

its a slippery slope probably best not trod upon.

jeff samolinski

HMMMMM!!!!

Looks like I'll have to tell that pesky HUD fee inspector that he is wrong.

This is where I think appraising gets a little wacky. If I happen to know that gfi's are a code requirement and that not having them is a safety concern, am I obligated to require them? Or if I walk in a home to do my readily observable inspection but I have knowledge of a code violation that may affect the value am I obligated to consider it?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jeff:

Have a little fun!

Be Earnest... you know that guy...

Why thank you, Mr. Inspector!!! I was unaware of that requirement. :eek: Would you puhleeze educate me and provide me with the specific citation/page/ and origination of that specific requirement? I NEED to know, as I cannot find it ANYWHERE in my 4150.2, FAQ's, on-line assistance or anywhere... Ge they must have passed a new rule...

Make sure you practice your "wet-behind the ears" look for this fun...

I mean C'mon... no point in making your day boring and getting into a hissing match.

just clearly and innocently convey: Balls in your court, Dude... where's the beef? :twisted:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Sheesh Jeff ~ you edit while I am formulating a perfect response..

OK here's the deal, go read my first response to this thread... there was more than fluff in it.

Seriously, If we went through every house looking for every thing that could possibly be improved to make the place safer and wrapped the thing in cotton wool, one would have to rebuild every home ever built. and this rapidly gets into personal opinion rather than factual 4150.2 or ANY HUD specified repairs.

At some point you have to draw the line and say enough: folks lived in this house for 50 years and no one died due to this
'dangerous~no longer permitted condition of  {insert any current code item not included in construction practice of the time}'
HUD themselves waver on certain specific items, one week they are 'in' the next they are 'out' of consideration...

History lesson: going to the area controlled HOC's under what is purportedly a national plan ... was intended to eliminate some of the judgment calls and regional quirks previously filling entire binder systems as proffered by the local field office system that preceded the centralization. Problem is some of those regional quirks made sense in light of the regional nature of residential building styles and safety issues!

ALL that said, you have clearly identified the Catch-22 of HUD appraising...

~YOU are responsible for reasonably assuring that the homebuyer is safe and secure in their new home with no OBVIOUS and major $$$ issues pending which will cause them to default on the loan.
~FHA/HUD says not in the business of requiring code compliance .
~Code is generally written to insure public safety.
notice how you can sing this round and round and round and.....

VC 11G (other safety) is the biggest of the Catch-22's.

If you know you are crazy then you must not be insane...
(for anyone who hasn't actually read and understood Joseph Heller's book)

As a MAI member of this forum attempting to sell his house FHA once said:
"I hope you guys get combat pay for these {FHA Appraisal} things."

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Just pulled my 4105 from the bookcase....dtd 9/81. Think that might be a problem?????? :rofl:

Found a bunch of updates but 9/81????? Can that be right????

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I am sure you are joking Mike. But in case some one reading this thread doesn't realize you are joking, there was a 4150.2 that was issued in 1999. If completing FHA appraisal that copy is essential. And then there were FAQs that revised the 4150.2. And then later on the National HOC Reference guide that revises both the FAQS and the 4150.2. And now HUD is starting to post notices on their web site that revises the National HOC Reference guide--so appraisers really need to be on their toes to be current!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Nope not joking...this 4105 is dated 9/81

But I do have another that is dated July 1, 1999 (4105.2)too :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My first Chums number was 3343. I actually had two because of a computer glitch by in the 80s.

Guess I should 'splain myself sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks