• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Gift Certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
is it legal to send gift certificates to lenders. i want to send a couple of lenders some gift certificates along with my business cards. this is a way to thank them for the business.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Sam:

There's a limit under the Texas rules, something like $30. Check the TALCB website for exact details. It is against the law for kickbacks, etc for appraisals, but they allow for small gifts as I recall.

Roger

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I am going to say this off the top of my head without looking since it is late and I just walked in I am tired. I think USPAP says something to effect that it is OK as long as the gift is within what would be considered normal business.

Assuming you are talking something like 20-30 dollars I wouldn't think that would be an issue (state laws aside). As long as no one could say and it look as if you were offering bribe or a kickback I believe you don't have a problem.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
i believe i will stick to a good ol' fashioned thank you

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Sam, Christmas gifts are always a good thing and that is totaly normal in buisiness. I have done that with some of my wifes home baked goodies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I like to give a nice bottle of wine but quite honestly...hasn't been necessary lately since everyone is so busy. Berringer's White Zin, about $5 when on sale. Top it with one of those little Christmas bows and your business card.

Something that was very sucessful in the past was having a lunch catered in for the office. This is a little more expensive but usually leaves a lasting impression. Show up before the catering truck and give everyone a sales pitch then have lunch with them. Costs between $10 to $15 a person. If you really want to go all out, call a local music teacher and find someone who can come in and play violin for an hour. Be sure to include the secretaries in the deal.

Have a summer BBQ in a park. Invite several different mortgage brokerages who then can compete in volley ball, soft ball or lawn darts, etc. Beer n Brats type event.

Going to repeat my favorite, compliments of my sister. Mason jars filled with M & M's. Create some labels on your computer...a business card that looks like a jar label. On it say....."I will refill the jar every time I deliver an appraisal".

Happy marketing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks