• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariba

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Does VA require that the GLA in sketch match what is used in the grid? I use public record in the grid if the GLA in the sketch is within 5% of the sketch. This consistent with the public records of the comparable. Today I received a STIP that VA requires that the Sketch must match GLA in the grid. Is this correct?

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I always used my measurement regardless the tax card. Showing different GLA is just asking for trouble, so any difference needs explained.

Do you use the tax card for the comparables in the grid? Why not be consistent? Do you measure the the exterior of the house to the nearest inch?

I have explained my rational in the addendum. I also, have had STIP's requesting an explanation of why the sketch does not match the public records. Apparently, you can't win the argument no matter which way you go.

However, the question remains, is there a VA requirement on GLA.

Last edited:

DonRico

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Why does your Sketch not match Public Records ?? Two Story Foyer ?? Garage Conversion ?? Unheated space ??
For the Comps, all we have are Public Records and our Observation Skills. For the Subject, you measured the thing......what's coming up different ??

I think there's a Basic Appraisal Practice Requirement to explain any substantive difference between the Tax Assessor's View and your onsite observations.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Do you use the tax card for the comparables in the grid? Why not be consistent?
So just be cause some of the comps might be off, then deliberately be off on your subject? Seriously?

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
So just be cause some of the comps might be off, then deliberately be off on your subject? Seriously?
what is with the comment "deliberately be off" when it is explained in the addendum? You must be really good at measuring houses and more accurate then measurements from blue prints even for new construction or model matches.

Besides that you still did not answer the question!!!

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
OK folks time to remember those locational differences. in our typical subdivisions all of the actual measurements end up larger than the assessor data. and all of the model match homes in the subdivision are built by the same builder and all are exactly the same size and all are larger than the assessor records. Used to drive me absolutely nuts back in my review years where the appraiser would use model match comps and compare the as-measured subject to the assessor data for the comps and make upward adjustments. Remember the concept of comparing apples to oranges?? They were obviously the same size but it was a nice little tool to help hit those inflated numbers they were aiming for.

Maybe it doesn't work that way in your world but it does in other places so lets not be too judgemental here....

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
what is with the comment "deliberately be off" when it is explained in the addendum? You must be really good at measuring houses and more accurate then measurements from blue prints even for new construction or model matches.
Yes, deliberately off. You measured it at 2000 sf. You state 1,900 sf. And yes, physical measuring is more accurate than blue prints, not that the assessors go by that. They do their own measuring...often calculating it differently. I know this because I am a Cert Assessor and worked as an assessor for a while. Yes, many of us do round measurements if the difference isn't significant. But our report statements are consistent.

As far as your question, I'm not a VA appraiser, so I can't answer that. I did find this in the VA Handbook
3. A building perimeter sketch showing the “footprint” of the improvements. The calculation for the square foot size of the property must also be shown either here or in the “Comments on Cost Approach” section of the URAR.

Regardless, common sense tells me that you don't want to have a sketch show 2000 sf and you put down 1900 sf in your report. Explanations won't cut it...and you better hope that your report never gets you into court. That's like saying you opined the value of a 1909 VDB Lincoln penny at 1 cent because that's what most of the market would think if the had one in their change, so you wanted to be consistent.

Last edited:

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Regardless, common sense tells me that you don't want to have a sketch show 2000 sf and you put down 1900 sf in your report. Explanations won't cut it...and you better hope that your report never gets you into court. That's like saying you opined the value of a 1909 VDB Lincoln penny at 1 cent because that's what most of the market would think if the had one in their change, so you wanted to be consistent.

Common sense also tells you that if you have model matches that says 2,000 SqFt and you measure 2,100 SqFt you don't make a positive adjustment. But then again, you probably would.because you are just that good!

How about house that put new siding or stucco on over the exterior and thereby increasing the house's GLA by 200 SqFt?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks