• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

GLB and dislclosure of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Doing an appraisal where the owners parents live in the basement of their house and they've fixed it up quite nicely as its own dwellig unit. It's probably illegal under the existing zoning. I called B&Z and asked if I could get a determination as to whether or not the set up was illegal without having B&Z go after these people and cite them for the illegal dwelling unit. The lady at B&Z said her boss would call back so I'm still waiting to here back.

However, this is an order from a lender that has to comply with GLB (as do we.) Part of the disclosure required under GLB is the extent to which private information may be shared with third parties. I'm now trying to get the signed GLB disclosure from the lender to find out what the home owner has agreed to with respect to disclosing private information. Anyone else run into a similar situation? I don't want to be the guy who gets their parents kicked out of the house and have them sue me for disclosing that situation to building/zoning.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Pat,

Did you give B&Z the address? If not, I wouldn't. I would ask about a situation like you have under it's particular zoning without disclosing the actual address.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I haven't given them the address yet. It's a small village so they probably don't get too many requests. I was considering asking what was allowed under a particular zoning then waiting 2 or 3 days until I get the zoning for that particular property so they can't connect the two. Might even throw in a couple of other properties to mix it up too.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I don't know if what you did or are doing really falls under GLB anyway...it is such a grey area. To the best of my understanding it pertains mostly to disclosing financial matters.

That said, many communities allow for a "mother-in-law" apartment in single family zoning. Some require a conditional use permit others don't. As long as they are not renting out the space for profit I doubt it is an illegal use, at least not in my community.

Remember, we are to appraise...not be zoning cops!

Larry Lyke

GLB pertains to cross-selling using confidendtial information gleaned by one side of an institution and given to the other side or sold/rented to a third party for commercial use, pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks