• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Gonna breakdown and buy a desktop computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
As many of you know I have used only a laptop computer since 1999. I mean for EVERYTHING, web design, running my hosting business, AppraiserUSA.com, DeadbeatListings.com and all of that. Which means I was on my lap top all day every day.

Yesterday my powercord transformer "popped" for my laptop and it no longer charges the battery. It has about an hour and a half left and then I can't use it until the replacement power transformer gets here. I called Compaq and it is covered under my warranty but since it was Saturday even with overnight shipping it won't get here until Tuesday. So I am stuck using my 4 year old laptop with 433 processor. Really slow!

But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that my files on this old computer are old. All my web design files, billing files, everything I use daily in my business are at the state they were when I got the new laptop. So it's really not much use, other than email and stuff.

Here's what I am gonna do:

Buy a new desktop computer. Network it on my wireless network with my almost new laptop (the one that's down right now) and sync the important files daily (or everytime I switch from one machine to the other to work).

I have found several software programs that are supposed to do a much better job than those that come with Windows, and the one I am most interested in is called FileSync and it appears pretty symple. Just define what folders you want synchronized and it will sync them between two computers, using the file with the most recent date on both computers. So I would define the "my documents" folder, which includes email in WinXP as well as the folders where I keep my web design work.

I just start the program on one of the computers and it will do it via the wireless network. All I have to do is make sure both computers are on. I still expect to use the laptop more than the desktop, but who knows?

Hate to complicate things, but this has been a pain. I had always known I could use the old laptop for backup and even thought I have my important files backed up on an external hard drive, it really isn't the same as just switching to another maching without missing a beat.

Do any of you sync files between desktop and notebook such as this?

Wayne (on old, slow computer)

dbiggers

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Florida
Wayne, I had a similar problem this summer (I too don't use a desktop at all), but found a fast solution. I assume the transformer you're referring to is the external "brick in the power cord" type, not an on-motherboard transformer.

If so, Targus makes replacement power supplies for laptops -- with various tips and polarities, and they fit all Compaqs. Radio shack also has their own model. You never know -- Walmart may even carry the Targus power supply, and you could get that even on a Sunday night.

Dave

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Dave,

Yes, it was the brick that just popped. I felt of it and it was really hot afterwards.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will check it out. I am going to find out from Compaq in the am when my cord will come. They said they would ship it overnight, but I suspect it won't go out until Monday since I called on Saturday. It's good to know that I may be able to pick one up locally.

I am still going ahead with my desktop purhase, and file sync plan just so I won't have to worry about this again. I mean if it were the laptop itself that had to be sent back for warranty work for a week, I would be in trouble.

I have backups of my files, but the WinXP backup program is not compatible with the Win98 Backup program on my old laptop.

The new Desktop will have XP as does my new laptop and XP is very easy to network.

"Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

Daniel Williams

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Wayne,

Who was it that started the...."I feel your pain" rhetoric? I DO fdeel your pain :cry: . I am limping along with a W98 system....Gateway GP7 w Pentium III 450 and 256 meg of RAM. I run athena along w/ everything else. So far (Insert sound of flesh on wood here) I have had very few problems w/ compatability or reliablity. I would LOVE a basic laptop for taking MLS into the field......oh well.

Good luck w/ new system, I am sure you'll be up and running in no time!

:lying:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Wayne:

I think duplication is a really good idea, I copy over *many* important files on the laptop but do not currently fully mirror the drives, not sure what to suggest there :? I used to use a program, but being in a hurry led to unpleasant 'wrong way' copying on one or two occasions. 8O I now 'manually' export important files/drive info rather than use any automation. I will try to find out what we were using, YOU probably wouldn't have made that error :oops: .

My current laptop system, since recent upgrading of my dinosaur Dell, includes a USB bus External box (just a case thingy) which has my old hard drive in it. Cost to upgrade was well under 3 bills and not sure what the case and software ran. (Laptop was plugging along pretty well for a 5+ year old system (I bought BIG, but it lacked sufficient hard drive)

This box permits solid backup of all important files EVEN when I am away from home base! It is best if I rely on the power cable to provide sufficient juice, as the system cautions: laptop batteries alone may not like to run both drives, so it wouldn't have do you any good in your case :( .

Except that it would have given you a lot more recent back up from which to move confusers in an emergency...

A moveable box can get broke or stolen or (knock on wood) fry at any time. We keep backups on the laptop, back up for the laptop, remotely stored mirror hard drives of the server, and *think* we are covered?!!?!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne, I had a similar problem this summer (I too don't use a desktop at all), but found a fast solution. I assume the transformer you're referring to is the external "brick in the power cord" type, not an on-motherboard transformer.

If so, Targus makes replacement power supplies for laptops -- with various tips and polarities, and they fit all Compaqs. Radio shack also has their own model. You never know -- Walmart may even carry the Targus power supply, and you could get that even on a Sunday night.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the tip I was able to get a Targus universal power supply from Office Depot. Pretty neat in that it has 6 tips to fit various devices such as cellphones and stuff.

"Back in Business!"

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Okay, I got the new desktop about two weeks ago here it is:
awesomesmall.jpg

Specs:
2.66 ghz P4, 512MB ram, 120MB WD 7200 HD with 8MB cache, CD RW, separate DVD drive.
Cool aluminum case with clear acrylic panel on one side and lit up with a blue neon bulb so you can see all it's workings.
400 watt power supply, 5 fans! including one on the side blowing air on the motherboard, 1 on the chip, and 3 on the rear of the case.
Lots of extra slots and drivebays.
Speakers with subwolfer (just came with it, I really didn't know they were included)
Made by ABS (was gonna get a Dell until I started looking into everything that was available. ABS uses top quality parts and probably has higher ratings than any desktop manufacturer I could find). Also affordable!
3 year standard warranty, parts and labor.
Also got the LCD flat screen as so many of you recommended.
I ordered a keyboard separately from Adesso, got the one with the built in touchpad (I haven't used a mouse since 1995, they give me hand cramps)

This is a unit a computer person will appreciate. Since I have used a laptop exclusively since 1999 it is taking some getting used to. I am syncing my files with my laptop so I have 2 complete systems with all my current files should one system go down.

It is now networked with the laptop and the DSL via the Linksys router.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
THE CASE appears to be very thin, I can see thru part of it.

Otherwise sounds good.

ed in arkansas

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Cool! Can you plug it in to the cigaret lighter of your car for cruzin' the strip?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Plays some cool tunes too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks