• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Good News For You Wireless Notebook/pda Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Could not resist sharing this site. This may be a key resource for getting you hooked up while on the road.

http://80211hotspots.com

aint the internet a wonderful place

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
are the public wireless places listed on this site free? I know with starbucks you have to pay t-mobil. I did notice a free wireless internet connection at a mcdonalds somewhere in san jose, ca. Perhaps all the mcdonalds will soon be equiped with free wireless internet.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
David,

You can download software that will let your laptop find open connections. I am going to give it a try on a few locations to see what happens. I have this magazine calle UNWIRED that tells all about it. They have suggested business should give it away free to get peole in the store like resturants or diners and coffee shops. I guess the point is that you will buy something while you surf.

ockyappraiser

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
I decided not to waste time trying to find the local hot spots. Subscribed to Sprint Wireless. I can log on from anywhere in the country. . .no roaming. . .and unlimited access. It is $100/month. . .but I use it every day. I do the appraisal on a pocket PC, then pull into the ARby's, transfer to the laptop, add the comps and map and email out.

Also used it on vacation at Destin. Worked like a charm

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Andrew,

I just began messing with the wireless card in the laptop this week to handle those rush final inspections from the field. Boingo (www.boingo.com) has wireless sniffer software you can download, for anyone who's interested.

I just signed up at Verizon Wireless for $35 a month for a 10meg limit. I'm going to try that first. They do have a $79.90 plan for unlimited access also.

Ben

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ben,

Thanks for the boigo link. My netstumbler software would not recognize my wireless card. Boingo was just what I needed. And free to boot.

I have this magazine called "UNWIRED" seems its a spin-off from "WIRED" anyway its very informative.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/unwired/

enjoy, Some day the others will catch up with us!

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
Hey mark,

With your Sprint plan, do you have to go to a starbucks or some other place that has wireless internet, or can you be anywhere and still access the internet?

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ben,

Thanks to you I have now located a free access site using boingo in one of my hottest residential areas. That simply means I can hookup to MLS & GIS to get my sales while I am right there working. Now I dont have to take lots of pictures, thus saving myself a lot ot time.

Whooo Haaaaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks