• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Google street maps? Any closer that 1,000ft in my area I get "image not available at this distance". I dream of cookie cutter neighborhoods and online public data.

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
There are posters whom we should all take notice of due to their knowledge of the profession, their obvious ethics and the way they conduct themselves.
Thern is one of those people who bring a lot to this profession with his appraisal experience and overall ethical nature.
To pounce because someone has worded a post in a way you don't like is unacceptable.
This man is someone you want coming back to this forum on a daily basis to offer his insights and knowledgeable advice.

Dean

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
"2168 San Jose AveAddress is approximate" I typed in 2169, not 2168. Ironically, they did get the right side of the street, but my old house was on the corner, 8 houses away, not the one they pictured. Ironically again, the owners of the pictured house has the same last name as me. :)

Google maps is great, but be wary of relying on it.

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I like windows live search much better
I just tried this and it got my old house right. It's good having 2 sources, just in case. :)

Daystar

Professional Status
State
New York
mslive maps

How come you cant click and paste with Microsoft Live?

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Interesting. I experimented and here are my results:

County property appraiser - the site gets my house right and has aerials (& has for ages - gotta give credit were it is due). Image is about 3 years old.

Live view - Accurate and easy to use. Good for peeking into back yards :D I better quit the nude sunbathing. :D Map appears to be about 2 years old.

Google - Missed by about 150 yrds. Re-located manually and did the spin around. Good for moving up and down a street, but lacks ability to detect any surprises not easily seen from the street. Most recent - within the last year (and taken on a Tuesday - my trash cans are out.) :)

Cool tools.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Hummm, playing with Google some more I find most of my county is not yet mapped. Bummer. :(

LordofTexas

Professional Status
State
Texas
How come you cant click and paste with Microsoft Live?

All you have to do (with any screen shot) is hit the print screen key (PrtScn for two finger typists), Paste it into a MS Paint window, crop whatever you want, Copy and Paste it into your photo addendum.

I've been using Microsoft local.live maps ever since they came out. They're completely web driven and do not have the huge download or memory requirement that Google maps have. However, I do have Goggle maps on an older laptop to check in the event MS live maps don't do the trick. But, the Bird's Eye - North - East - South- West views are the best. When you do national reviews, it's a Godsend. Combined with plat maps and counting the houses from the corner, it's pretty easy to get which property is the one you're looking for. And, any external obsolescence is pretty straight forward in a close aerial shot such as Bird's Eye.

LordofTexas

Professional Status
State
Texas
That's one of the better free ones I've seen. I've used one called GrabIt also for over 10 years now and it does all that one does in addition to sound capture and other stuff. However, it's not grattis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks