• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

got to get this off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Lentz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I swear my head is going to implode the next time some clerk at the assessor's office tells me that they can't find the last sale price on the card, nor can they fax (my fax is an 800#) the thing to me because they charge for copies. Give me a freak'n break! Add insult to injury when the assessor will be in tomorrow from 10:30-2:00, and probably not again until the new year. Please join the rest of us in the information age! How ridiculously antiquated and full of BS. Public servants...my #@! More like nuisance.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

OK. Breathing slow, deep breaths now...I'll fix the stapler I flung across the room later.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hi Rob!
I don't know what municipality you're trying to access, but often one assessor will have a contract with several (I've seen up to 7!) townships (especially when they are more rural/ag. townships) so they can only be at one office so much of their time. They also have to be in the field doing their job. And some of these municipalities don't have faxes either, from my experience as an appraiser. I am also an Appraiser working in an Assessing office in Ingham county, just so you don't think I'm just a trainee who doesn't know what they're talking about...
I know it's a pain - don't you wish BS&A were a requirement?!?! Why don't you stop by the office while you're doing the inspection? Or there's always the county...

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I swear my head is going to implode the next time some clerk at the assessor's office tells me that they can't find the last sale price on the card, nor can they fax (my fax is an 800#) the thing to me because they charge for copies. Give me a freak'n break! Add insult to injury when the assessor will be in tomorrow from 10:30-2:00, and probably not again until the new year. Please join the rest of us in the information age! How ridiculously antiquated and full of BS. Public servants...my #@! More like nuisance.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

OK. Breathing slow, deep breaths now...I'll fix the stapler I flung across the room later.

Try the County Recorder's office. You will need either the buyer or seller's name and the APN.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Rob, settle down buddy. I have a county here that will not fax, copy, e-mail, snail mail or even look up without an exact address. They make us drive 45 miles one way to get a copy. They won't do comparable sales searches, they are worthless. Quoting fees for that county I add an additional $500 to normal because of the lack of information and cooperation.

I wonder if the public knows how bad their assessor is screwing them.

Rob Lentz

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'm just venting...I just can't stand it when people are basically bent on NOT being at all helpful. If I got something you need in my hand and getting it to you means just making a copy and sticking it in the fax machine, consider it done. no problem! (Maybe I'll start charging people via Paypal and make sure the payment clears first).

As for BS&A - they're pretty good, $2.00/record is a small price to pay -- but I will add that I've worked in other states where ALL the information you need is online (tax maps, building descriptions, measurements, transfers, tax data, zoning, etc.) and FREE. Call me cheap, but I like it. I like it alot! (Michigan, hmph)

Last edited:

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I used to have a county that charged for each fax. I would send them a check for $15 and then they would deduct off of that each time I ordered something. Only problem was when they sent me the bill for another appraisal company that had a similar name. Buuuuuuuuuut it was a nice day when they went to the internet access.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Oh yeah - I forgot some municipalities charge the $2. Some do, some don't. I get you on the HMPH!

P.S. Is your stapler Red? How's it doing?

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Last week I went to six different counties looking for information on Ready-Mix plants.

To get essentially the same information the charges went like thiss:

My own county which I can access by walking about 200 feet. $5.00 for copies
Next county $16.50 for most of the stuff I wanted. To get the rest would have been near $25.00 more.

Next County $.75.

Next County $5.45 which included good currtent aeiral photo

Next County $2.75. in this county I have deposit account which I replenis when necessary

The last county, I have freind in the town where the plant is, he took photos, had the other information and e-mailed it to me.

This altogeter required some 175 miles of driving

In my area, in addition to the township assessors, the county Supervisor of Assessments has the real information, the township assessors takes the supervisors data out for a few days a year, and returns it. The data usually is on one place, and available. I usually want to look at the entire file, so having one paper faxed would not be sufficient.

Wayne Tomlinson

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Wayne, it is called a 'use tax'.:rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks