• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Government Sponsered Entities

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Government Sponsored Enterprises carry an implicit guarantee. This means that the federal government acknowledges an interest in the issuing organization and thus implies an interest in the securities it issues. This differs from the explicit guarantee for U.S. Treasury securities, which states that the securities are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. While an implied guarantee is not considered as safe as an explicit guarantee, the government historically has taken action if the financial status of a GSE appears threatened.
• The government also grants special privileges to GSEs, designed to help ensure the organizations' financial strength. This includes access to large credit lines from the Treasury, typically between $1.0 billion and $4.0 billion, and important exemptions from tax and securities laws.
• The government has the power to regulate GSEs in various ways, including, in some cases, the power to appoint directors to an organization's board.

My question is; if Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are now part and parcel of the federal government, are they still considered GSE's?

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
I'm not a legal beagle, but in my opinion the are still considered GSE's....only now they are being operated by a conservator approved by congress, with a new oversight organization they report to.

They are a hybrid organization....a bit of gov't and a bit of private, rolled into one.

They were created by congress to be separate 'agencies', not by a provision in our Consititution which defines the three branches of gov't. Therefore, they are not 'part and parcel' of our fed. gov't.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
bit of gov't and a bit of private, rolled into one.
when they make money they are private and benefit the stockholders. When they lose money they are the burden of the taxpayer...nice, really nice.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
They were created by congress to be separate 'agencies', not by a provision in our Consititution which defines the three branches of gov't. Therefore, they are not 'part and parcel' of our fed. gov't.

Where is the Treasury noted in the constitution? The Dept of Transportation? HUD? etc. Are these not 'part and parcel' of our Federal government?

Having a provision in the constitution is not a requirement to be part of the government.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
And the FBI and CIA are certainly not explicitly in our constitution.

Fannie & Freddie are now government agencies. Fannie was a government agency from its New Deal era birth until 1968 or so. Nearly immediately after privatizing it Freddie had to be created as competition (early 70s). My personal opinion is we should have left it as government from the start. I simply don't agree with the hardcore right wing that government is always bad, especially when that government is We the People.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Where is the Treasury noted in the constitution? The Dept of Transportation? HUD? etc. Are these not 'part and parcel' of our Federal government?

Having a provision in the constitution is not a requirement to be part of the government.
Yeah, and where does it say I have to pay federal taxes?! :new_multi:

Mikyl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Anon,

The 16th amendment established the payment of income taxes. There is debate on the definition of "income", but the short answer is the 16th amendment.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Anon,

The 16th amendment established the payment of income taxes. There is debate on the definition of "income", but the short answer is the 16th amendment.
Are you sure?

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Yes, although it was never ratified by a majority of the sovereign states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks