• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hairline Cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Have an old house with hairline cracks in the interior walls in 3 rooms. The other rooms show no evidence of craks but it looks as if someone may have re-plastered and re-painted. Looks like the home was once wood paneling and someone plastered over the wood. Now, there are a myriad of cracks all over the interior of the walls. No evidence of foundation cracks or large cracks anywher else? Should I call in an expert? I was thinking of a drywall contractor.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sounds like a wall finish problem and not anything structural. I would mention it and call it cosmetic. Hard to make a determination without seeing it.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
If it is a plaster wall, I agree with Pam.
The thing with plaster is you can't just tap in a tack to hang a picture. It is like trying to drive a nail into your windshield, it will crack and splinter in all directions. That is why old homes have picture moldings. Many people do not realize that plaster and nails do not mix, then try to patch it, but a patch won't last long either.

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Is the wall drywalled? If they drywalled it and mudded, then sanded and mudded too fast, it will look good for a week or two, then the wet mud under the paint will cause it to crack. If the cracks are around the frame of the door or near the ceiling, then it might be settlement, but I would ask how old the house is. Otherwise, it is just shoddy work and not that hard to repair. Old house. I missed that. Probably just shoddy work then. It has probably settled a long time ago.

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
Perhaps just report it as you did here and let the underwriter make a decision about calling in an expert?

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thanks to all, as usual your advice helps immensly. :lol: As I think about it, it seems cosmetic, no cracks by door frames, no corner cracks, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks