• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hand Sanitizer - Bacterial Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr999

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
There was a time not too long ago that it was recommended to limit the use of hand sanitizer as there was concern about surface bacterial resistance occurring (used to practice as dental hygienist). What's interesting is not hearing anything in media or from medical community on this topic currently...is this one of those 'as the pendulum swings'??

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
There was a time not too long ago that it was recommended to limit the use of hand sanitizer as there was concern about surface bacterial resistance occurring (used to practice as dental hygienist). What's interesting is not hearing anything in media or from medical community on this topic currently...is this one of those 'as the pendulum swings'??
Idk but perhaps because Covid is a viral and not bacterial, benefit using hand sanitzer to kill the virus on skin outweighs developing resistant bacteria they do not want to discourage use at this time.

Red Flint

Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Overuse of hand sanitizer and soaps increase MRSA bacterial infections – false

Dr David C. Hooper, Chief of the Infection Control Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, told Reuters the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers or soap and water does not in any way increase the risk of bacterial infections of any type.

“Their use in fact decreases the risk (of bacterial infections) and is the mainstay of reducing transmission of bacteria in healthcare settings as well as the home,” he said via email. Hooper explained that MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, ( here ) and other bacteria from the skin can be actually removed with hand hygiene. “What they (the posts) are saying is the opposite of what is true,” he said.

“MRSA is a type of bacteria that is resistant to some antibiotics and can cause serious infections of skin and bloodstream. It is commonly present on skin without causing infection but when there are breaks in the skin it can cause infection,” Hooper added.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Use the alcohol goop; don't wipe it off but let it evaporate. Or soap. We are lucky that this virus is so susceptible to breakdown by soap.
Don't use stuff marketed as anti-bacterial because it is unnecessary and only serves to wise up germs.

When the alcohol gel ran out here, we put rubbing alcohol (or Everclear, not as good but in a pinch) in a spray bottle and hit the doorknobs with it. Empty spray bottles ran out but alcohol was never in short supply. Interesting shortages.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Use the alcohol goop; don't wipe it off but let it evaporate. Or soap. We are lucky that this virus is so susceptible to breakdown by soap.
Don't use stuff marketed as anti-bacterial because it is unnecessary and only serves to wise up germs.

When the alcohol gel ran out here, we put rubbing alcohol (or Everclear, not as good but in a pinch) in a spray bottle and hit the doorknobs with it. Empty spray bottles ran out but alcohol was never in short supply. Interesting shortages.
Actually in my area only 50% alcohol is found at local stores and pharmacy's- 90% is almost impossible to find , maybe online ? I don't know- I use 50% if I die I die : )

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
What's the proof on Jack? :leeann2:

Looked in my cupboard: 70% Walgreens Isopropyl Alcohol, but they did run out for a while. So, early days, my son got Everclear which is Ethyl Alcohol. Seemed better than nuthin as a spray for the front door area. I marked that one "sanitizer/poison" in case of any visitors trying to get/stay sober. Mostly I am trying not to kill the parcel delivery people, some of whom use that door because they are doing a real service.

Not mixing it here and so not reducing it, just spraying straight. I already had pump bottles of alcohol-based gel sanitizer for my car because I hate ATM, gas pumps, etc, food to go, without it. Gel sanitizer is back in stock on shelves here. For now.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I found some from Suave that is a spray. I kind of like it better than the goop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks