• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

HARD Drive Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Gurus of the World, HELP.

MY hard drive started running much like a LARGE FILE was being saved.

The only change I know about was that SWB was having some problems and we remade my access profile.

Am running a PIII with Windows ME. 512 memory.

ACI is now saving as ZOO files rather than ACI.-do not know why.

REsources are at about 35% on fire up, about 13% after loading Eudora and ACI.

Have a SWB router and one computer networked, but rarely fire it up.

About 30 minutes after fire up with no programs running, the the crazy hard drive will start saving something.

What gives?

Thanks in advance-ed in arkansas-(thats part of my problem)-but have always lived here.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Edward,

I skipped Windows ME so I don't really know it's features but it it were XP it might be: (perhaps some of these apply to ME also)

1. The "file indexing" program that runs in the back ground indexing all your files so that file searching goes faster.

2. The "system restore" program that runs in the back ground and backs up your system files peridocally so it can restore them if need be.

3. Third party programs you may have installed that do various things in the background (during periods of low use) such as defragmentation of the hard drive, backups and things like that.

See what all you have running. Shut down the programs one at a time (using cntrl-alt-delete then selecting the program to end). When the disk activity stops then the program you just shut down may be the culprit.

P.S. .zoo files are archive files, perhaps ACI is compressing your files in the background and this is the disk activity? Perhaps there is some setting in ACI to change? As you can tell I don't know beans about ACI try the ACI user group below there are some knowledgagle ACI people there.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Ed:

To switch on the ZOO save format in any report go to Options, Environment, Advanced and clear the check box for save reports as ACI 7.1 format.

To turn it OFF go to Options, Environment, Advanced and check the box for "save reports as ACI 7.1 format" this will return your saved files to the .ACI extention...

There is some discussion of zoo files in the ACI Users Group Forum, try the search function...

Basically .zoo is the "newer better" format :roll: . I find it a little more stable, particularly if you have the notoriously unstable REO addendum in the file :evil: , but it is slower to open, and adds quite a bit to the file size. I am using ver 7.1 for 98% of my work.

Re: the hard drive: :? 8O ...

Back yourself up on a remote drive fast! Any chances you got a virus or something 8O .

Good luck!

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I bought a computer with ME and it lasted 6 months, gave it to my mother-in-law for internet use only. That version of windows was the pits. Dump the computer and get the XP version. My ACI runs great on it.

TC

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Probably a dumb question but are you "on line" all the time with dsl? Could be something or someone from outside is accessing your computer.

I have several programs including Guru (athena) that runs various things like checking for appraisal assignments, doing maintenance on the appraisal program periodically, and sending reports automatically. My firewall seems like it runs all the time too.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
THANKS to all of you.

It may have been the defrag running-do not know why but some way it was on schedulled.

Funny thing, it did not show up in the panel after ALT CTRL DEL.

At least the old Radio Shack had a TRACE program to trace the progress of each line of code as it ran.

GRATEFULLY YOURS-ED IN ARKANSAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks