• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Hardware upgrade?

Are you planning to upgrade hardware in the next 12 months?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most likely

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not likely

• Definitely no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
While this info is mostly about investing in Dell, it has a lot of information about hardware sales in general.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P33846.asp

The particular thing about Microsoft phasing out support for Win98 over the next twelve months has me wondering if now might be a good time to upgrade.

So, what do you think?

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
If its not broke don't fix it.

With that said I love Windows 2000. Rock solid stable. No crashes to speak of. Runs all week without rebooting etc. From what I hear XP performs about the same.

Being a bit of a geek most likely I will upgrade something on my machine. However I don't upgrade just because there is a new faster toy out there. If it works and it is performing properly then why replace it?

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Computers are one the few items that get better, faster, and cheaper as time goes by. I generally build a new machine each year as the technology usually doubles in that time.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Steve

We had network problems and we suffering lockup multiple times per day even though we defragged with a 3rd party defrag program. We were running Windows 2000 on both machines. Our systems had been running for almost 2 years and had finally become corrupted.

We opted to add a 2.0 GHz P4 with a couple of 40 gig hard drives and 512ram. The new machine is running Windows XP Pro. We kept the Windows 2000 on the 450 MHz P3 but reformatted the disk and reinstalled. Our networking and programs have never run so smoothly. Rarely do I get stopped and if I do, it does not require rebooting but simply ending the task and starting the program over again. This is a very rare occurrence.

I would get out of Windows98 and go all the way to XP Pro. At the price of the new systems, you can hardly afford not to do it. Getting to a larger hard drive actually can increase speed in itself if your present hard drive is over 60% full. They seem to start running slower after 60-65% full.

Do it. Go first class. I bought a Gateway 700 and without speakers etc but with 4 years on site service and a bunch of other things, I only spent about $1,700.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I just did....new Pentium 4 1.9 gig with 512 megs ram, 120 gig hard drive, cd r/w, dvd, and 6 usb ports. Only draw back Windows XP. Still learning how to use it.

If I could make a recommendation to everyone...buy a 17" or better LCD monitor. They have come down in price, view like a 19" CRT, take up only 6" of desk space, and weight less than 10 pounds.

Merry Christmas

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Mike

I've had a 19" screen for about 2.5 years and have trouble with anything smaller now. I understand the best way to go from my tech is the new plasma screens I think they are called. Expensive but thin and really sharp. I would like to have something take up only 6" on the deck.

Good choice on machine. I personally like the flexibility of a second hard drive and opted for two 40Gbyts rather than one big one. It provides a wonderful place for backup storage for files, photos, etc.

XP Pro does take some getting used to but by and large, I really like it. I like the way it lets you handle photos etc. Plus my programs are running a whole lot better.

Richard

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm giving myself a new computer for Christmas this year - mine is two years old. I have two other computers networked to mine (the host) and we are all running 98SE. The other two were installed last year, but I need more ooomph for the host computer so my computer guy is bringing me one. I am going to XP, although he doesn't like it. He said that with two sets networked to mine, I needed to upgrade and I believe him. I'll just take this one home so that I can enjoy the forum with speed!

There are two advantages that I see to XP - you can recover lost information by resetting to an earlier date, and I think it can handle the new programs and am worried that 98 will fall behind.

I left a message for tech support at WinTotal to be sure whether or not they recommend a preference - XP or 2000. Does anybody here know?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Judy..I have heard them saying XP is fine, don't know about 2000. What does your techie say about having all computers on the same operating system?

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Judy....Not true.

I'm running XP Pro on my 2.0 Ghz P4 networked to a 450 Mhz p3 running 2000 and they are running very smoothly. Absoluly no problems at all. Best my machines have run since we set the network up nearly 5 years ago.

Go for XP but do XP Pro and not the Home edition.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
My tech says that not every computer can run XP.....so leave 98 on the two networked computers and we won't touch them unless we have a problem - which he doesn't anticipate. He says that "upgrading" them to XP might cause more problems than solve any.

Actually, I'm not really having problems. I am just trying to keep pace before I have any! The more we put into these computers the greater the chance to have a problem. Anyway, he seems to think they will run fine without changing them. I will send him an email, though and tell him that XP Pro is recommended, just in case that isn't what he ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks