• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Has anyone heard of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXCBoy36

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have a client that called me yesturday and asked a question that I have not seen before.

Apparently, this client has a borrower that recently purchased a FHA home less than 6 months ago. The borrower apparently is not happy with their home and they are wanting to relocate to a nicer/safer neighborhood and they are wanting to buy another FHA home. My client told me that they spoke with their lender's underwriter and the underwriter stated that the FHA appraiser would need to make a statement stating that the first property is in an unsafe neighborhood, etc for them to utilize a second FHA loan. I am familar with the area that this first home is located and it is a questionable area.

I have never run across this and I have a call into the FHA help line, waiting on a return call, but I was wondering if anyone has run across this before.

Let me know if you need more details.

JC:huh:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
An appraiser making that type of statement would be treading on very thin ice in regards to the ethics and conduct section of USPAP, perhaps Std 1 of USPAP, as well as FIRREA, HUD/FHA requirements and other assorted guidelines and requirements I haven't even thought of.

John LaBelle

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I've never heard of it.
I don't think just because the Buyer didn't due their own due diligence on the area they are buying a home in should be cause for an appraiser to add a comment to the appraisal. In my opinion, nicer and safer are not necessarily the same thing. I would also not add an "unsafe" neighborhood comment without some sort of crime statistics which could back up such a statement.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
TXC,

No way would I stick my neck out for something like that. Greg listed a few of the laws and regs that you might be in danger of violating.

Not to mention the lawsuits that would most likely come from the original seller of the property.

Aside from that, this whole thing sounds really fishy. Smells of craziness.

Nope.

Last edited:

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
An appraiser making that type of statement would be treading on very thin ice in regards to the ethics and conduct section of USPAP, perhaps Std 1 of USPAP, as well as FIRREA, HUD/FHA requirements and other assorted guidelines and requirements I haven't even thought of.

Like the DOJ...the lender themselves will probably turn you in

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Doh!!! I had my French Toast YESTERDAY. What was I thinking?

Today is National French Toast Day

john eickhoff

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
There are very specific requirements that would allow a person to have 2 FHA loans and they are spelled out in HUD Handbook 4155.1 REV-5 and none of them have to do with the neighborhood being unsafe

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Depending on your background, what is unsafe to one person may be paradise to another.

I would not touch this with a 10 ft pole.

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Sounds like some old mortgage broker tricks!!!

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Make that a 20 foot pole. No way, no how. Not unless you want to end up before your State Board and in the middle of a lawsuit. Someone is trying to blow smoke your way. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks