• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Have They All Gone Nuts !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been buried in an avalanche of wacko phone calls
especially since the current heat wave of mid 90's.

In the last 10 minutes I've recieved the following calls:

"Hi, I need two houses appraised for a refi, hold
on a minute" (ring, ring in the background)....the hold on
a minute kept happening every three words until I was
ready to hang up (my low tolerance for annoying people).
She finally got to the point after the usual Q & A session.
Turns out she has two houses, one attached, and one detached....."Ok, fine that'll be $350 each"......pause, followed by her saying....."but I'm ordering two of them".
...........(sigh). Ok, I figure I'll explain why there is no discount, which I do. She repeats again "but I'm ordering two of them"...OK that's it..."I don't care if your ordering 12 of them, it's still $350 each, unless they are all identical and located on the same street".....

Mortgage broker called (immediately after)with following problem. UW lowered my value estimate by $8,000 because she didn't like distance of comp 1 (this is an urban area where comps are almost always fractions
of a mile from subject)......"What are you talking about ?!" ....She says "I've never heard of this before"..............sigh, and sigh again.....This is so absurd I can't even begin to address it. :blink:

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Joe my advice is to show them no mercy. Once word gets around that you single handedly fended off the Russian mob those types of requests should eventually cease. We can all sleep well at night knowing the Hudson River is so well guarded. :)

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
So let the UW lower the value estimate. It does not effect your appraisal one bit. You've done your work. Wonder why they tell us these things.....unless they want us to maybe change the report to reflect the UW wishes. Wonder what the UW's qualifications are?

Yes, it is the heat.

Too much sun on the little mush brains of too many UW's over the holiday weekend.

Grab a cold one, go out on your deck (you do work at home don't you?), pet the dog and sit back for a while, just looking at the woods.

Like a bad case of the grumbbling guts, this too shall pass.

"And so once again, let the call go forth from this day forward, echoing throughout the hills and valleys of the land, throughout the highways and by-ways, in every hamlet and city:

UW's of the world unite......you have nothing to loose but your ignorance."

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
The answer is, "They can not go somewhere they already reside. They are all nuts, always have been, always will be!"

We must focus into bringing ourselves down to their level. WooHoo! WooHoo!WooHoo! WooHoo!......

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
My Lu Lu for today:

Dr. calls and says he needs an appraisal on 800 acres that had a house on it but is in the process of alot split that will include part of an adjacent parcel not owned by him but will be given to his son just as soon as "we get an appraisal."

Says I, "Sorry, I'm not taking any new orders....but....here's an appraiser you can call." :twisted:

It's 100 degrees and not even noon yet......

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Why did I pick the hottest day of the year to do 5 inspections in the afternoon???? Just got in...thank God for A/C. 70 degrees in the house.....100 outside!

Still getting those...."could you pull some comps for me" calls. I just laugh!

Mike Simpson

I'M JEALOUS!!! It's 65 here, overcast and threatening rain!

Joe...yes they are all nutz!

I don't understand why the lender would call because, the underwriter cut the value unless they think there's something you could do to change her mind (in the form of an addendum maybe?).

I just turned away the 4th order of the day, and an AMC can't understand why I won't work for what I did 10 years ago as a trainee! I had to explain to the girl on the other end..."if somebody came to you and wanted you to work for them for half of what you earn now what would you tell them...???

I've recently started charging clients for the nonsense. I had a request to consider additional comps on a lakefront property I appraised recently. I provided 5 comps to begin with and explained in detail why I'd selected the ones I had. So I considered their (non waterfront) comps carefully, sent off a detailed addendum as to why I did not consider them comparable, and billed them $50 for my time.

I'd take Richards advice if I were you...as for me--I'm going to put the kettle on the stove and have a nice hot cup of tea...I can't wait till summer gets here.

-Mike

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Best laugh of the day came in an e-mail from somebody this afternoon as I was cranking out reports. It has a subject line "BPO"

The really good part was this:

"To ensure receipt of future orders, your appraisal profile needs to be
updated with the fees for the 1 photo drive by 2055 5 days and the interior
fee 1004 5 days 24 photos with the REO repair addendum."
(That's how it was worded-I copied it from the e-mail)

Now when was the last time you saw 5 day turn around? Most likely about the first two weeks I was in business for myself back in '97'. Right now it's 4 weeks.

However, wonder what would happen if I said 1004, 5 days, 24 photos (24 photos of what?) with REO repair addendum - $1,000 CIA (That's Cash in Advance for the LO's out there).

Probably get 5 orders before the night was over.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Rchard, that ranks right up there with an unsolicited FAX with a gazillion pages asking for 900 sample appraisals and filling out 10 pages of an application form. I would do this if I were new in business, so my guess only the real new go through all of that.

When we get an appraisal from someone other than our regular clients, you can guarantee it is something you cannot AMV no matter how bad they wanted to....or tried to run something and "the correct figure" didn't come up." I simply don't have time right now to fill out all those papers, and sure hope this trend continues and I don't have to eat my words! :redface:

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Judy......I have this little bypass for my fax, which slides those DIRECTLY into the paper shredder - problem is, I burn out the motor on most paper shedders so quickly since I trash so much junk - I think I get as much spam VIA my fax as I do with my E-Mail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks