• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hay Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
This crud keeps on hanging on and a lot of folks are complaining of hay fever. Honey flavored whiskey works just as well as cough syrup. The constant rain seems to be the culprit. I have one field of hay yet to cut but part is standing water. My Teffgrass is coming on and a new patch of Bermuda is up but I am mowing it with a finish mower to keep weeds from shading the bermudagrass.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Mowed most all day yesterday and my ears are popping and sloshing around... Got up bumping the walls. This stuff is gonna keep on until the rain lets up. And it rained again yesterday. 9 full months without 7 days in a row without rain. 60% above normal rainfall this year.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Got up bumping the walls.

Maybe that honey flavored whiskey is better than cough syrup? :leeann2: Feel better.

Takes about 2 hours or so to mow here. Not counting edging or clean up or anything else. But I can't take pushing a mower around for that long in the sun in 90 degree or more heat. I might end up a dried out hunk of leather in a pool of sweat. :leeann:

Maybe I should get a better mower. Had this one for 15-20 years and got the smallest cheapest one I could find back then. I think an 18" cutting path or whatever it's called. I half wish it would die so I would have a reason to get a bigger one. At least in summer the grass grows slow. /ramble.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
it would die so I would have a reason to get a bigger one
I started off on a skid steer cleaning loose hay and broken bales out of my barn. I spent 3 hours doing that the day before. Finished in an hour or ao.. Then I took the ZTR 5 ft mower to town and mowed around our tiny home project. I then put the 5' finish mower on my old tractor and mowed the yard around the old school house that joins our cemetery. Back to the house I then mowed a new 2 and half acre field I planted bermudagrass in to keep broad leaf plants from shading the grass. Today I sprayed 24D over the same patch due to a bunch of woodsorrel in it. Humid and with chemical mask and overalls it was blazing hot.
So I mowed about 5 acres total.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I have a small washer load of them...as we speak. 4 or 5 white ones, and red and black bandanas. I ordered some face masks to hopefully block some of the pollen. But I keep a box next to chair, in each car, etc.
Long sleeved shirts offer a lot of wiping surface, particularly if you can get your nose to the shoulder seam of the sleeve.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
High humidity is as bad as the heat. I just want to stay in the AC and not melt.
We have had a nice marine layer last couple mornings so I could at least mow in the AM without a lot of solar heating.
A 5' mower is way to wide to fit through my back gate. But you would have a hard time doing 5 acres with my little mower. It is plug in electric. How long is your longest power cord? :leeann2:

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Maybe I should get a better mower. Had this one for 15-20 years and got the smallest cheapest one I could find back then. I think an 18" cutting path or whatever it's called. I half wish it would die so I would have a reason to get a bigger one. At least in summer the grass grows slow. /ramble.

When we moved out of town, I got a 24" Yazoo flat deck mower. It was a very simple machine - self-propelled (no encased transmission, no reverse) - and adequately powered. I mowed a 2 acre yard and barn lot, the area around a half-acre pond and 1,220' or so of creeksides - probably 8 or 10 hours a week during mowing season. It lasted 15 years: I'd paid an exorbitant $700 for it. I hated to see it wear out.

I'm increasingly plagued with seasonal allergies - better said, 4 season allergies. It could be because our immune systems age and become less effective the longer we live. old age's not for the faint of heart.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
High humidity is as bad as the heat. I just want to stay in the AC and not melt.
We have had a nice marine layer last couple mornings so I could at least mow in the AM without a lot of solar heating.
A 5' mower is way to wide to fit through my back gate. But you would have a hard time doing 5 acres with my little mower. It is plug in electric. How long is your longest power cord? :leeann2:

My cousin lived in LA (not Lower Alabama, the other one) when he finished his engineering degree. He tells of having to get off one of the freeways and driving through a subdivision, where, on a corner lot, he noticed a lawnmower on a slightly elevated stone platform. The lawnmower was painted gold. The he noticed that the lawn was artificial turf. A memorial to whatever piddling amount of time it takes to mow a typical SFB lot in a SoCal subdivision.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Our lot is about 8,000 SF minus concrete and house, but plus city owner parkways I have to care for. We are on a corner, so a bunch of extra parkway, that takes close to half hour by itself. The whole thing takes about 2 hours to mow. More if I edge and blow. Not as much as your 8-10 hours though.

Quite a few neighbors have a gardener that comes by weekly. The front yard next door looks like a putting green. :leeann:
I don't know that they charge, but I have all these yard tools and a cheap *** gene, so I use the tools, and sweat. And it does not look like a putting green.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
This year, I've tried to relearn what few gardening skills I had years ago. I've noticed that, other than a few stragglers from the Monarch butterfly migration in late Spring, I've seen no butterflies around our flowers. I don't think that the manicured lawns in "upscale" subdivisions are innocent of contributing to that lack. The lush lawns maintained (in good part) by lawn service companies, many of which regularly spray herbicides and insecticides (which kill or discourage a broad range of pollinators, including butterflies) share the blame for this. Monoculture is also a contributor, as farmers produce the same crop(s) year after year, and spray for anything that ain't that crop.

For more than 25 years, we lived in 2 parts of the county that are rural in ambiance, each property a mix of woodlot, pasture and yard. Until about 6 years ago, we shared each with one or more coveys of quail: they disappeared along with the fallow fields and fence rows that had been their habitat.

Re: lawn maintenance - I mowed enough to keep the Johnson grass from going to seed. Some of the most beautiful wildflowers are part of the life cycles of weeds, and used the trimmer on steep banks and around fences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks