• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Health And Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Dom. Republic
VA Appraisal that was recently submitted. Vet is buying a FNMA property.

The buyers realtor called me and said that pigeon poop and a missing screen qualified as a Health and Safety issue. I told her i had never heard of that and would check it out.

She also told me that the roof inspector found a hole in the roof under the tile, which there was no way for me to discover.

Can I go back to the appraisal and state that according to the inspector there is a hole in the roof that must be repaired, and can I require a screen to be installed and the pigeon poop be removed?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Did you get a copy of the inspection report? Or are you working from hearsay?

Pigeon poop is corrosive, and can be a health issue.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Dom. Republic
I did not get a copy of the roof inspection, so it was just hearsay. The pigeon poop was on the outside of a window sill. I am thinking that pigeon poop on the house could be corrosive, but poop on the side walk or patio would not be?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
The amount of ****z,
in any assignment,
needs to be considered.
One small instance
would not be an issue
3 pounds of it would be an issue.

CindyR

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
i frequently require pigeon clean up and remediation on VA assignments in Phoenix area. While the layer of poop in the driveway is probably not an MPR issue it does illustrate the extent of the problem and that it is a current problem so those photos are included when relevant. And the remediation requirement includes the installation of appropriate pigeon deterrent mechanisms to all affected areas, not just the ones i could see and not just the ones included in the photos. And yes, it is a health and safety issue as well as a property preservation issue.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
We don't determine the level of repair on a roof about all you can do is report the Realtor told you there was a hole under a tile and recommend the lender obtain a roof inspection and certification showing its water tight.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
And as for your original questions, i would not worry about a missing screen. Lot's of screens missing in this world but i don't see how they could be a Health and Safety issue. And the roof problem is not your problem. You did not see it or know it at the time of the inspection. My VA manual states:
"The appraiser should not require certifications or inspections for roofing,
plumbing, heating or air conditioning. Appraisers should not require inspections
for liability protection. The appraiser should require corrective action by licensed
personnel if the condition does not appear to be safe, sound or sanitary; or
require nothing if the condition appears satisfactory."

Another thing to keep in mind is that the VA MPR items are not the same as the home inspection items or the BINSR items. I got tangled in a final inspection last week where they assured me that everything was done. They even sent me the contractor invoice showing that they did everything on the home inspection report and everything on the BINSR. And there was a lot of stuff. But no painting was mentioned on the invoice and the only 'subject to' item in my report was all the chipped and peeling paint on the roof trim, eaves and fascia. They scrambled to get it done but at least saved me a wasted trip by sending over that invoice.

And as for the pigeon poop i guess it would depend on how much. I hate to go back and change a report but if i left out the pigeon poop i would feel compelled to go back and fix it.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
At least it's not a special kind of bird. Once a year, these swallows go to my townhome and build a next and cause a poop problem. I've complained to the property manager but the rep said they can't do anything because they're special birds and it's against law to bother them. Birds over health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks