• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Health And Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

bororke

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I am an UW and have a question on health and safety. The subject is having a room addition and the stucco on the home has been removed and the wood is exposed. The appraiser has the appraisal in "as is" status and put a line item in the sales grid adjusting for 5,000 to remove the current framing and replace the stucco.

Would the exposed wood not pose a health and safety issue in the current state and this should be subject to?

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I think that's a somewhat loaded question. I also think that becomes more of an UW question than an appraisal question. Maybe a home inspection is needed? We (appraisers) are there to report what we see/observe and report it to our client and any (if any) impact on value. In this case, exposed wood.

Does the client (I'm assuming this is for lending purposes) have any guidelines for the appraiser to make it SUBJ TO rather than AS IS?

I would think (just using my common sense) that depending on WHERE the wood is exposed (interior/exterior) there COULD be potential issues for health/safety, but the caveat is, I'm not a home inspector, I'm an appraiser.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
We (appraisers) are there to report what we see/observe and report it to our client and any (if any) impact on value. In this case, exposed wood.
Exactly. Is exposed wood from a missing fascia a health/ safety issue? Probably not, but I'm not going to be the one that says in my report that it isn't. What I will say is that it impacts the value.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Exposed framing in a mortgage finance or refinance appraisal is 100% subject to. Dumb arses think they are still making Mortgage Borkers deals work. A Pox on the lying Sacks of Sticks.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Rex always has a way with words....

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
A might harsh, but exposed framing is As Is because an appraiser isn't a home inspector? Gimme an F-ing break, grow a set, and on and on about doing your f-ing job. No excuse for such blatant crap that further diminishes appraisers reputation as some sort of D3P.

Some appraisers just need to hang up their jocks with their balls inside and get a job as an onsite agent for the latest builder boondoggle or ice cream guy at prepubescent soccer matches where everyone gets a cone, a trophy and a daily star sticky.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
A might harsh, but exposed framing is As Is because an appraiser isn't a home inspector? Gimme an F-ing break, grow a set, and on and on about doing your f-ing job. No excuse for such blatant crap that further diminishes appraisers reputation as some sort of D3P.

Some appraisers just need to hang up their jocks with their balls inside and get a job as an onsite agent for the latest builder boondoggle or ice cream guy at prepubescent soccer matches where everyone gets a cone, a trophy and a daily star sticky.
So I qualify as a wimp if I appraise something as is that has deferred maintenance?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
So I qualify as a wimp if I appraise something as is that has deferred maintenance?

Exposed framing is not deferred maintenance. It is a page one "Are there any physical deficiencies or adverse conditions that affect the livability, soundness, or structural integrity of the property? that automatically requires subject to conditioning for any mortgage related appraisal. Don't think so? Quote me line and verse from any published source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks