• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Health Hazard -- dead animals in home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Parker

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Hi guys --

I did an REO yesterday, one of the worst I have seen in a while.

Dead animals all through the place, including pigeons and cats. Looks like two litters of kittens were stuck in the home after it was secured a few weeks back. Horrific smell, not to mention a very disturbing sight for an animal lover.

Anyway, I notified the lender of the conditions on my report, and also gave them a call as the cleanout company obviously did a halfassed job. Aside from calling L&I (I did do so yesterday, but this will do nothing in Philadelphia) can anyone think of someone else to contact? Summer is here, and that is going to be one hell of a health issue come 90 degree temperatures this weekend. I wanted to call the SPCA, but the home is secured, and I do not think there are any other living animals inside. The lenders only response was "put it in the addendum". Great... I feel bad for the folks living next door (this is a rowhome.)

I tried to save the only living kitten... Peed on my leather seats, took it to the vet and the poor thing died three hours after they started putting IV fluids in his system. Very sad day.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
If you're so inclined you may want to contact the local spca about it. Isn't the spca that enforces this type of stuff. Or did I miss read those guys on the animal planet with the spca and the cop looking uniforms and badges?

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
SPCA in New York City have enforcement capabilites. Other SPCAs don't. But they ALL know how to make a big stink over something like this!

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Call the County health enviromental department. If this is in a subdivision then let the neighbors know about it so they can raise another stink. Banks just dont care about the property until its time to sell it. Even then the dont really give a rats patooey. They also dont like public scrutiny.

A forum member told me on the phone the other day that banks in florida are abandoning condo's they have foreclosed on and letting them go to tax lien sales. Sounds like it is time to enforce some good citizentry on the banks.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Or...

You can forget about it and get on with your life and business.

I know that is difficult but sometime we just bite the bullet and move on.

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Or...

You can forget about it and get on with your life and business.

I know that is difficult but sometime we just bite the bullet and move on.
Sorry, but when you've reached that level of callousnness and inhumanity it's time to retire your membership card to civilized society.

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida
Sorry, but when you've reached that level of callousnness and inhumanity it's time to retire your membership card to civilized society.

I agree. Who can we contact to try to get some attention to this matter.

If I ever find that, I swear to God I'll track the former owners down and at the very least let them know what scumbags they are. :new_snipersmilie:

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Someone needs to also let the news know who this bank is that doesn't care to clean up the rotting animals. That kitten might have lived had they done something sooner.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I agree with Mike.

Make a couple of calls and then try and move on.

I found a dead deer in my cistern two weeks ago. No agency would help me get it out and told me to call someone else. A friend and I finally had to lasso it and drag it out (what a smell). We dragged it up the hill about 100 yards. The turkey vultures have had a two week feast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks