• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hello from newest member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle Shoven

Sophomore Member
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am very, very new to this business and spend a lot of time reading through all of the post to learn what is going on out there.

I just finished AB-I at St.Petersburg College ICOT center with Steve Vehmeier. Steve has pretty much put the fear in me and I am a little worried about finding a good supervisor, one who is ethical and not a target shooter. If any one can give me a few pointers on what types of questions I should ask a potential supervisor to narrow down the chances of not hooking up with the wrong group. I really want to learn and be a great appraiser with integrity.

I live right on the border of Pasco and Pinellas counties in Holiday. Please if any of you have an opening or a good lead as to where I can find a supervisor let me know. My phone number is 727 943-7872 my email is [email protected] .

I would love to hear any advise you may have for me concerning the types of things I should be doing or learning that will be benifical to my future in appraisal.

Thanks for letting me be in the group and hope to learn from all of you.

Michelle Shoven

Wally Jones

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hi, Michelle!

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and congratulations on finding it so soon in your career. I live and work in Polk County and do some work in east Pasco and quite a bit in Hillsborough. I'll keep my ears open for you concerning a good person to work for. Feel free to email me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

Wally

Michelle Shoven

Sophomore Member
Wally thanks for the welcoming words and thank you also for keeping me in mind in the event you hear someone looking for a trainee.

Yes it is great to find this group of people especially a local group. Reading through the posts has been quite an education. I will indeed email you with my questions and thank you for being so gracious.

I’m taking two CE classes in February, “Small Residential Income Property Appraisal” and “Appraisal Compliance with FHA Criteria and Guidelines”. I look forward to both classes and meeting other appraisers in the area.

So Wally, when is it gonna warm up?? I’m freezing!! 52 degrees in Tarpon Springs, ouch!!!

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Hi from Brooksville, too! I don't have any business quite that far south, but wish I could recommend someone for you. We cover northern Pasco, all of Hernando and southern Citrus. It really is critical to find a good supervisor, so I wish you luck! If I hear of anyone, I'll let you know.

This forum is great and since it is so busy, now, you can get suggestions, answers, etc. pretty quickly to any questions or "quandries" that you might encounter. How did you happen to find the forum?

Michelle Shoven

Sophomore Member
Thanks Judy for the welcome! Yes I agree, it is essential I find a good supervisor and as soon as I return from my vacation (going scuba diving in Puerto Rico tomorrow, gotta go somewhere to warm up!) I will work full time looking for one.

I found this board through my AB-I instructor; he recommended we take a look at appraiserdepot.com and hit all the links. I’m glad I followed his recommendation.

I have noticed in reading through old and new post that there is a lot of negativity when it comes to trainees. I am beginning to think that getting a job is going to be a real challenge. I know that it is a huge responsibility for someone to take on especially with so much on the line, and I am not naive in thinking that trainees are all wonderful. I’ve dealt with my share when I was a SGT in the Army. But everyone has to get a start some how. All of those that are now full-fledged appraisers were at one time trainees. I suppose my thinking is that most of the really ethical supervisors are weary about hiring trainees, and this is the type of supervisor I’m looking for. I feel like I’m looking for the needle in the haystack, any suggestions?

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I do occasionally have trainees come into the office and ask for a job. I am usually impressed if they are nicely dressed (clean pressed slacks, clean shoes - everything not dressy but nice) and have a good looking resume. I have seen people with impressive resumes even when their job titles were not "boss" or "supervisor" by stating what their responsibilities were and what they thought they could contribute to someone's business. When I am impressed with someone I usually at least save their resume. I am in the middle of training my youngest son, so can't take on another trainee at this point, but would not hesitate to call someone or save a resume if I liked them - even if it was sometime in the past. So I would recommend making a personal call on appraisal offices, although many appraisers work out of their homes and don't have a business address. In that case, you might be able to at least call them and ask if you can bring a resume by.

Many appraisers advertise on sites on the web. You can find some appraisers and potential supervisors that way, if not in the phone book. Get on the internet and search for real estate appraisers in your area and you will probably come up with a lot. Wayne has an advertising site here and there are others. Go to AppraiserDepot.com and they have listings of web sites for appraisers. Send letters or call - contact them. Then by all means follow up, especially if somone shows even a little interest.

I have had people come in wearing shorts, sneakers, football jersey, and in general not neat looking or business looking (I realize in Florida it is more casual than in some states!)

I would also try to get involved in the real estate community. Make friends with a real estate agent and try to get invited to Realtor functions. Attend the chamber of commerce meetings, if possible. In other words, get involved in your community.

Michelle Shoven

Sophomore Member
Judy, excellent advice. All of these tips I will incorporate into my regime as I search for a supervisor. Thank you for taking the time to give me these pointers, I really do appreciate it.

Michelle

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Well, most of it you probably already know, but it never hurts to be sure! I do wish you the best of luck. If I didn't already have a "trainee" I would be looking for one. I think if you treat a trainee right they will be with you for a while. It is really difficult to go out on your own...I should know - I did it!

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Welcome
Good luck in your search for a supervisor. You wont make much for the next two years but you will learn alot about real estate. I got started at a appraisal mill then had to retrain myself to get it right. Try to get someone to train you right from the start. You might make less now but it will pay off later when you want to get certified.

Michelle Shoven

Sophomore Member
Dale, thank you for the welcome. I believe you are right on the mark about finding the right supervisor. Just as a potential supervisor will have questions to ask me, I too have questions to ask them.

I just want to do this thing right and have put a lot of thought into this whole thing. As you stated in your post I won’t make a lot of money in the first few years and I have anticipated this. I have worked very hard to get myself into a financial position where I won’t have to worry about money matters. I’ve paid off my house and my vehicle, leaving only the utility bills and the usual basic’s to pay for.

Having taken care of all of these things and taking the required course all that is left to do now is find a supervisor!!

Dale, how long have you been in the business? Are you happy in this profession? I suppose I should ask Judy the same question, but I think I already know by our short correspondence that she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks