• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

HELOC Based off Appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
"Citigroup Inc.'s Citibank unit says that under the borrower's credit agreement, it is permitted to freeze home-equity advances or reduce credit limits if the home's value has declined below the original appraisal, or if it reasonably believes the borrower won't be able to make the required payment. "

Click Here for the entire story

Original appraisal?

It was my understanding that most HELOC's were based on tax records, and AVM's.

Maybe more work for us?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Not necessarily. I have done a bunch of appraisals for HELOCs. Of course I'm in a more rural area, in areas with good online data, there probably is more reliance on Tax records, AVMs, Desktops, Drivebys etc etc.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It depends on the LTV, their credit and other factors.

In my area MOST of these loans have been made on tax values and both borrowers and lenders are in hairy situations.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
In most cases these loans were made based on prior appraisals. Remember the appraisal you did for a purchase or refinance, well guess what, they used that appraisal again and again to make many of these equity type loans.
So not only did they get a free appraisal, at your expense, but you're also on the hook. "not the intended user" you say... well just ask Joyce Potts about that.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Our local bank requires an old 2055 for heloc's unless the client has superior credit and multiple accounts, including the mortgage. We have done multiple assignments for such loans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks