• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Help!I have an interview w/County Assesssors office!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Merrick

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Arizona
I am a trainee over 1/2 way through and I applied for the County Assessors office where I live. My license is in California but I am in Arizona so if I get the job I will need to get my Arizona License as well which they will pay for.

So I have some questions

Has Anyone worked for the County before?
What exactly do they do?
What should I be prepared for in the interview?
Is the work easier then as a fee appraiser?
Can I acrue my hours under my California License so I can become certifed in that state?

I wonder if I will even be a strong candidate since I am not licensed here and do not have a bachelors degree yet, but I do have over 1,000 logged hours working the county that I live in.

Any help would be appreciated.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
One typically cannot accrue experience hours in state A by working in state A. CA and AZ have reciprocal privileges that make licensing in one relatively straightforward--but only after being fully licensed in the other.

The Assessor test is going to focus on your communcations skills by posing scenarios and asking you to describe your response, in multiple choice format. Also lots of geometry questions.

It's gotta be easier than being a fee appraiser; aren't all jobs?

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Has Anyone worked for the County before? Yes, here in Oregon.

What exactly do they do? Set asessed values for every property in the county except the large State assessed industrial accounts.

What should I be prepared for in the interview? Team player, do what your told, don't rock the boat attitude. Ability to do independent work. Say [email protected] like "I'm a fast learner, but am not afraid to ask questions."

Is the work easier then as a fee appraiser? Hell yes.

Can I acrue my hours under my California License so I can become certifed in that state? Hell no.

TXCBoy36

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sorry, I am enjoying being independant....hope it works out...GOOD LUCK!

bfriendly

Professional Status
State
Georgia
From what I have been told dont worry about the license part of it, I dont even think they are licensed most of the time---if you have any experience, then you should be ahead of the croud.

BTW-Congratulations.......I see benefits in your future!:clapping:

Jozsef Poor

Professional Status
State
Florida
I had a trainee left last year for county assessor's office. He had no problem with the interview. If you have a year experience or more, should not be a problem.
They do not let you work in real estate in the private sector, and you will never be certified, however, you will have a steady salary.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Steady salary...low but steady.
You will also find that in most counties that you are substituting pressure from the assessor and politicos to inflate values from that you experienced with bankers. One of the more common methods is to increase the grade of a house or reduce its effective age.

In most states, you will be a cost approach appraiser, something they deny but the reality is most states rely upon the cost approach and base it on sales data generated from the past few years (in my state, the sales base is for the previous 3 years.)

Beth Stevens

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
I would agree with all responses so far. Especially the part about stressing that you will work hard, avoid inter-office battles and nitpicking, and will work independently but not afraid to ask questions when needed. GREAT advice!!

If you want more information on what exactly they do, check out the State Department of Revenue website for their property tax division. There will most likely be a lot of information about the practices/statutes in your state. Might also be some ratio information for each county regarding the number of appraisers in relation to the number of parcels they appraise each year. Its interesting to compare the counties and view the workloads.

Lastly, peruse through your USPAP manual for the section on Mass Appraisal. We tend to ignore it in fee work, and not all counties follow USPAP too closely (a sore subject with me), but it still gives you a basis to speak from.

I did mass work in an Assessors office for 7 years. It can be a great job, and depends a lot on the dynamics and diligence of each office. I even got some great experience in basic litigation type work defending my values at tax appeals. Best of luck!! Let us know how it goes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks