• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Help! VA MPR's for a slab addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alli Cat

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
Hi everyone! I'm a virgin homebuyer with a (hopefully) quick question.

I am trying to buy a house in San Antonio, which is notorious for its shifting soil and the effects that can have on house foundations. The house in question is 70 years old; the house itself is pier and beam and appears to have very little in the way of settling (few cracks, no sloping, etc). However, there is an enclosed patio sunroom on the back of the house that has a very "wavy" floor, and some cracks in the enclosure walls. The enclosure is old, so it's not going to cave in or anything, but it's the kind of thing a VA appraiser is bound to notice. So..

1. Does this sound like an MPR? My seller will probably walk from the deal if she has to do costly ($1500+) repairs.

2. can the house be appraised without counting the enclosure in the square footage and thus not requiring repair (as if this were just a patio)? Obviously the rest of the foundation would have to pass muster but that's a requirement for me, too, and I'm getting a 3rd party inspection.

Thanks so much!
Alli :leeann:

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
VA MPR's are safe, sound and sanitary.

The answer to question #1 is yes.
I believe it would come under s*fe and possibly sound.

The answer to question #2 part 1 is maybe. I would have to see the house.

The answer to question #2 part 2 is the repairs may be required. Again I would have to see the house.

Alli Cat

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
Would it matter if all the houses in the neighborhood have similar issues? ALL the comps I looked at have a similar enclosed patio room, and I'm sure there's settling involved. It's this dang clay...

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
No not for VA purposes. They are only concerned about the subject. You could make the offer to purchase subject to being able to obtain a VA guaranteed loan. That way if the appraiser does identify MPR items that are to costly to correct you can walk away and get your earnes money returned to you.

Are you working with a seller's agent or a buyer's agent?

Alli Cat

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
I'm working with a buyer's agent. The seller doesn't have an agent anymore. It's tricky because the seller owns the house outright and is independently wealthy, so if they don't sell the house to me because of VA mandated repairs, it's not an issue. For them. :eek:)

I've talked to an appraiser in the area who's familiar with San Antonio's lovely foundation issues and it sounds like requests for structural engineers' reports are the norm. I'm having the house inspected on Maonday so I know what to expect, at least, from an engineer's report. The contract is contingent on getting VA financing, so I do have that out. Hopefully it won't come to that!

Thanks so much for your help, Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks