• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Here's Another One For The Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris (from Russia) calls and says he wants to change appointment time for his appraisal. "Ok, no problem, see you on Wednesday morning at 11:00 am". He says: "how do I get to your office ?" (hmm....I'm wondering why he wants to come to my office). Ok, I now have to ask the obvious question - "Why do you want to come to my office ?" I ask. Boris says "to do the appraisal" Now I'm confused (as usual ). Huh ? (maybe it's a language barrier thing going on). "No Boris, I come to your house to do the appraisal". Boris says "Oh, nobody tell me that before".

This morning I arrive, and he's sitting on a lawn chair in the front yard with a vicious cannine (maybe a Russian Wolf-Hound ?). The dog is acting like it wants to shread me into bite size pieces. "Hey Boris, would you please get rid of the dog". At this point he has a confused look and
takes the "wolf" into the house. Ok, so now what ? "Hey Boris, I'll do the outside first and then you can put the dog into the rear yard" He says "Why ?" ....here we go again...."because I have to see the inside of your house". Boris says "You have to go inside ?".....please God give me the patience to deal with these people !!!

:blink:

Jason Snider

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I can see it now :lol: :jumping: :gunfire:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Okay now Joe, you are being a little too pushy. Next thing I know, I'll ask for cash at the door.
How 'bout some left over Rubles...... the mob will never miss them.... I swear. :ph34r:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
:rofl: Gotta love those language barriers. Either that or he was just playing. Now just watch for the :sniper: if the value does not meet his standards.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Joe, .....While you use the word "dumb" to describe this person.....I know what is at play there, and I doubt it's anything to do with dumb, or smart. Perhaps, it was you who shared a posting a few weeks ago about interaction with another Russian living here in U.S., and carrying with him some rough and brusk traits which we might assume to be characteristic of simply living in that other country, either in the past or still in today's world. The absolutely mean, barking and voracious dog which "greets" us upon arrival, and the homeowner who acts so non-chalant about it all, and does not seem to understand our request to create secure separartion between the dog and us......is a prime candidate.....to have another appraiser take the assignment. Some folks (must) live their lives in a constantly-primed position to intimidate others. It's the obvious self-defense mechanism bred into that dog, enjoyed by the dog's owner, and the person uses the dog as a portrayal of how the human also thinks and believes. Icing on this cake was the surprise (intimidation of you) that you would then have to go inside the house. I hope all ended well and you got your tasks done without further hassle or problem. About two months ago I walked into a driveway with two beasts CHAINED into rear of a pick-up truck bed parked in the open garage. As I walked up driveway toward front door they are both barking at absolute maximum volume, and crazed frenzy, and pulling on the chains. Made me ask what my emergency response would be ---if the chain actually broke ! I walked back toward my car...and waited for the occupant (tenant-renter) to come out ...and see what all the fuss was about. Duh, appointment for appraiser to come to the house at 11:00am. He felt put-out that I would ask for better "containment" of the beasts......and I said it might just be best for me to simply leave, and see what the owner wants me to do. Is then learned that the tenant is actually ticked off that he does NOT know why landlord (who lives in CA) is having placed appraised....and lease was to expire that next month (which I already knew). Intimidation ?...another form of it perhaps.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I had something similar but it was not intimidation it was just funny.

Seems my rusky had bought this home about a year ago in a new S/D. You have all seen this type ofr house, ranch, vinyl siding, on slab, HP with a utility room attached in the back.

Well, this guy like to smoke meats and fishes, plus make saugsges. He turned the utility room into a smoke house. :lol: :lol: It reeked with strong smoke odors and all the siding was discolored. :D :D

He said to me

Das shut give me big value for smoker.

I said no it wont help sir, we may even have to clean it up.

He said, What das ist a great smoker.

I said, cant you smell this odor, it is so strong.

He said, ya, it smell gut!, dont you like it, do you want some sausage?

Sometimes you just cant bite your tougue :rofl:

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I had one that didn't speak english where they had a bunch of bird cages in the laundry room by the carport with towels over them. I could hear the birds in them.

Then, in the middle of the back yard is a trap to catch birds.

Then, in the kitchen were a couple more cages with typical yard birds such as sparrows in them.....

I believe they eat them!!!! Made me sick!

Claude From NY

Professional Status
State
New York
Man, I can definitely relate to your story. When I use to work Queens Co. I would run into that sort of thing all the time. My favorites are the folks who do not speak or understand a word of English but will nod and grin to anything you say. That was always a fun inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks