• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hi, I'm new.What's a Skippy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Siegfried

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Hello all. I was referred to this forum by an appraiser friend and am enjoying the collective banter, particularly regarding the recent Cuomo deal. However, I'm a bit puzzled because I keep seeing references to "Skippy". I think I get it, but if anyone would like to explain what you mean by this, feel free to educate me. By way of introduction, I'm a Certified General and have been doing mostly residential work in L.A. for the past 16 years. Seems to be a nice group here, thanks for having me.

Mike

Mike B

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hey Mike, I am in So Cal as well, welcome. I am pretty new myself, but I think a "skippy" skips over more relevant comparables and model matches to find comparables a mile away in a superior gated community.

In other words they play name that value, typically with Loan brokers

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I did not write this.

TC

Butting in as Moderator to say: Yeah welllll - I did write it typos and all :leeann2: and when I checked .. the link it was dead, So I fixed it!

Link is
Skippy defined (and acronym link also!) -- Lee Ann

The Skippy links are at the bottom of this page: Definitions {see link above}, but perhaps we should explain that the perjorative term has mutated from the original somewhat less threatening sort of Skipy encountered (and named) by Mr. Bobby Bucks into a more harsh indictment of the folks who 'appraise' to hit a numebr and fill their pockets with little regard to the honor of the profession. The country club clown he describes... is looking over his shoulder at the hordes of hungry-eyed Skippy's treading even on the more protected Country-club Skippies turf!
Those nastier folks are systemically degrading the appraisal profession into the equivalent of the low class hookers... and some of the higher priced call girls and gigaloes resent the economic impact on their 'calling' deeply, whist the HONEST and DECENT folk who used to comprise majority of the practitioners of this profession get pretty wound up at the market occurances which seem to be continuing ever faster and stronger... I can assure you that in many if not most markets after a quick definition most appraisers can name several Skippies.
"Betty Roundheels" and "Skippy" travel thier lightfooted path, leaving wreck and ruin not only of the profession, but also of the unhappy homeowners who find themselves 'upside down' on their home and even business loans. Certain banks and lenders who claimed <_< to want honest opinions of value but hired Skippy and Betty due to thier minimalist (and occasionally wildly inaccurate) reporting (aided by dark glasses and blinders)... and (literally) blindingly FAST turntimes and CHEAP fees... may someday reap the price for what they have elected to sow.
So hopefully this will better explain what Skippy means now, and the original read really is a hoot!
Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Welcome to the forum.

TC gave you a pretty good description. You should be warned that this question has caused a rukus in the past, LOL!

Mike Siegfried

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Thanks folks, think I get it now. And thanks for the warning, Donna, I'll keep my head down, Say, where in Ohio are you? I'm a Buckeye native, OSU grad (class of they didn't have calendars back then) and my son is actually leaving L.A. next fall to go to OSU too. You guys got snow lately, or what??

Mike

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Thanks folks, think I get it now. And thanks for the warning, Donna, I'll keep my head down, Say, where in Ohio are you? I'm a Buckeye native, OSU grad (class of they didn't have calendars back then) and my son is actually leaving L.A. next fall to go to OSU too. You guys got snow lately, or what??

Mike

Hi Mike...no need to keep your head down, just a few folks seemed to have a problem when the question was last asked, LOL.

I'm in the central Ohio area. Just a little snow, but who is counting, LOL. I fear it is going to melt very fast though.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hey Mike, Welcome.

When you be ready to take the Forum's physical and psychological examination.? You'll only need to set aside 62 hours for it. The course will be ready as soon as we get the blood cleaned up from the last newbie. :new_newbie:

Seriously, as an old Commodore once said, "If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right." And we do have some fun around here in addition to exchanging some very good and valuable information as well as entering into some good, but often exhaustive, discussions.

I'll let others fill you in on the Skippy appraiser. I just wanted to say welcome and feel free to wade in anytime.

Regards

Richard

JFulmer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
When you be ready to take the Forum's physical and psychological examination.? You'll only need to set aside 62 hours for it. The course will be ready as soon as we get the blood cleaned up from the last newbie. :new_newbie:

:rof:

I am glad I missed out on that in Dec when I joined. There must have been a lot of blood even then.

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks