• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hillsborough Cell Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The next round of hearings should be filled with fireworks when the citizens of one of the wealthiest cities in California question the appraiser for Verizon, in its quest to bring a cell tower to a residential neighborhood. And, the cell tower is meant, at least in part, to benefit the 2,200 residents who live in the hood, those using Verizon.

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/h...cle_fa61375e-90bd-11e6-9caa-c71fcc9a26d7.html

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I think the Hillsborough in question is located in New Jersey.

Here's the site (I think):
upload_2016-10-13_11-36-47.jpeg

Not knowing that market but just looking at the area, it is hard for me to believe that a cell tower couldn't be constructed in a manner that wouldn't cause much (if any) external obsolescence to the neighboring residential properties.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You know what's interesting in looking at this fire station? There is no vertical tower for drying the fire hoses. Maybe that is what the hubbub is about (here, an ideal location for a cell tower would be on top of the drying-tower, if that is what they call it).

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
You know what's interesting in looking at this fire station? There is no vertical tower for drying the fire hoses. Maybe that is what the hubbub is about (here, an ideal location for a cell tower would be on top of the drying-tower, if that is what they call it).
An interesting comment was posted on the web site which rings true to me:

"I have said this many times, the younger folks buying your house don't want to live in a dead zone. They will walk away and buy another house somewhere else. Get with the times. Fix the darn dead zone already"

I also live in a very residential township where there are cell phone towers located at fire stations, on churches, and in parks and it seems to me that nobody cares and that these cell phone towers have absolutely zero effect on the value of nearby residential properties. I think it likely that the fire station itself (if it is a busy station) would have more of negative effect on nearby residential proeprty values than any cell phone tower located on or near the fire station property.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Everyone likes 5 bars.

Not all hose types need drying before storage. And there are several different types of hose dryers for those that do (pull-up racks, flat layout racks, tables, etc.)

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
This is New Jersey for heaven's sake. EVERYTHING is within 1000 feet of something. I have a cell tower within that distance from my office (also located near a former fire station) and another atop the water tower three blocks from my house. Having spent my career appraising in N.J. I totally agree with the phone company's appraiser.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
An interesting comment was posted on the web site which rings true to me:

"I have said this many times, the younger folks buying your house don't want to live in a dead zone. They will walk away and buy another house somewhere else. Get with the times. Fix the darn dead zone already"

I also live in a very residential township where there are cell phone towers located at fire stations, on churches, and in parks and it seems to me that nobody cares and that these cell phone towers have absolutely zero effect on the value of nearby residential properties. I think it likely that the fire station itself (if it is a busy station) would have more of negative effect on nearby residential proeprty values than any cell phone tower located on or near the fire station property.

There's a fire station just outside my neighborhood - about 1,500 feet from my house. At night with the windows open a crack I can easily hear their siren when they pull out on a call.

I can't really see a cell phone tower negatively impacting residential property values. They're invisible to most people, just part of the background. Maybe if it was in your backyard or literally next door but much beyond that - who cares?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I wish I had one on my place... $600 a month would come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks