• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hillside La Area Non-lending Appraisal Interior Cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
1f215404-29ee-4bec-b75e-e164fca50d7c.jpg 4b338821-4634-4b87-a19f-054012a40dc4.jpg 1f215404-29ee-4bec-b75e-e164fca50d7c.jpg I'm doing an estate appraisal (date of death) of a property located in Montecito Heights. The house was built on a level pad in the 1960's (it's not up-slope or off-slope), There are interior cracks throughout the house. The bottom photo is what I would consider the worst crack. I did not notice any cracks on the exterior of the house, just a couple spots where the stucco was peeling away (at the foundation line). (There is overall a lot of deferred maintenance.) I did not notice uneven floors, just loose ceramic tile flooring. There is a concrete patio slab that has pulled away from the house a couple inches and has a slight downward slant.

I'm thinking that since there were no exterior cracks on the house and the interior cracks did not have large gaps that it would be reasonable/acceptable to make the extraordinary assumption that the house is structurally sound?

nstanbru

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Are the photos just representative of 1 room?

KONA

Professional Status
State
California
You may want to make it subject to a professional engineering evaluation; as something appears to be going on with the site.

KONA

Professional Status
State
California
As this is an estate type appraisal make your assumption but perhaps recommend an evaluation to the client.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Those are foundation settlement cracks usually caused by water drainage problems. How old are the cracks? Did any remediation work done in the past like gutters and curtain drains?

D

Deleted member 134708

Not speaking as an appraiser, but in the persons shoes who hired you.

I'd want you to halt all work up to this point, talk to me, give me my options, 1 of them being put appraisal on hold, have appropriate inspector come out and tell us/me what it is we are looking at. If nothing, I'd like you to continue report as-is of effective date.

If inspector gives me a cost to cure of $30K. I will give this report/estimate to you the appraiser and now finish the appraisal as-is of effective date.

As the customer, I wouldn't want a report of maybe, if's and not sure's. I would want definites.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Montecito Heights suffered some pretty serious earthquakes over the years and some of those homes do have foundation issues and broken studs in the walls and rafters. As far as the exterior stucco it may look fine because the owners may have re-stuccoed after the quake but did not repair the interior drywall. Based on the photos I would suspect previous damage from quake It's Unfortunate but there is no way to know without a licensed contractor inspecting the entire structure. I guess you can invoke an Extraordinary Assumption but I would hate to defend it based on the location of the Subject and the photos.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Those look worse than average to me. The patio pulling away and settling is not great. It would be good to have an inspection addressing that. Since it's a proivate party I would go with talking to them and see what they want. Have you looked it up at zimas.lacity.org to see what hazard zones it may be in such as earthquake fault zone?

Also might be interesting to see what permits may have been pulled. ladbs.org

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Good points everyone, I really appreciate it!!! I will contact the daughter and see how they want me to proceed. I will also check permit records as well as zimas.lacity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks