• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hiring a trainee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I have been an appraiser for about 5 years now and recently decided to start my own business. I have taken on a trainee, who is also a family member, and she is not happy with our current arrangement. I am curious as to how everyone else handles trainees.

Last edited:

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
State
Texas
she is not happy

We have a saying in our company. If SHE is not happy then ain't nobody happy.

Seriously, I think everyone will jump in as soon as you can fill in a lot of blanks for us ... detailwise.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Can trainees in Florida sign a report like they can in Washington? Won't matter much longer since most lenders no longer take reports by trainees so YOU will have to do all of the inspections.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Why have a trainee? All liability. Hire a secretary / appraisal tech....no law against that. Inspect 'em all yourself.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I have been an appraiser for about 5 years now and recently decided to start my own business. I have taken on a trainee, who is also a family member, and she is not happy with our current arrangement. I am curious as to how everyone else handles trainees.

Have you explained to her how lucky she is to have found a Mentor?

Charles Decker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
When you say "she is not happy with our current arrangement", I am assuming we are talking $$. Let her know what you and every other appraiser sacrificed to get where you are. Also the liability you are taking and the huge learning curve you are overseeing. Tell her that as she becomes more effecient, her compensation will increase. Gives her motivation to become better.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Tell her you have heard her, and that her complaints are valid, and you have researched your profit structure and you will be sure to send her orders that you can afford to pay her more on.

Let her starve for about a week and she will get the picture.

Or, since she is family and you can't win--give her whatever she wants and go broke. See how well that pays.

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
there's good and bad to hiring fammily members - you're dealing with the bad right now. You're in a tough spot. They will always think you are getting rich off of their work. Maybe it's true to some extent, but until they get certified, they need to deal with it.

I have too big of a heart and often find myself working for free with friends/family members - it's a thankless position you're in. Best to keep the relationship about business.

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks