• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hit with law suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Hunt

Freshman Member
Appraised home 3 years ago. Lender repo'd and is now filing law suit saying appraisal was too high. Was working as a registered under a certified at the time. Any one experienced with this, where do I start???

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Call your E&O carrier. They are probably just fishing. What is "too high". Can you give some more details? If your comps were good, I don't think you have too much to worry about. Most suits are about specific items of fact, not someone's opinion.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Ouch Lee. Kind of scary. Good luck. Keep us posted. Sponsor has more liability. There is none if it was done right. Still costly though. Maybe you could counter sue for defamation? Don't know.

Willie

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Frivolous lawsuit?

Willie

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Lee, if you can give a lot more details. If you do, you will get some good help from these people, I guarantee it. Some have been there.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Make them explain what too high means.
Did they do a review three years ago. Has the condition changed. Get out there and get new pics asap.
Start collecting data to support your claim and to rebut theirs. The cert is on the hook but will probally blame you.
Get your own lawyer or legal representative to answer questions for you.
Good Luck CYA

David Mullen

Notify your E&O carrier before you do much of anything else.

They probably have a condition in the policy that requires you to do that and they have plenty of experience in answering the questions that you have and they will also give you good guidance.

Dave Doering

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
I agree in principal with David and Jim about consulting your E & O carrier before you do anything or talk to anyone with one exception. I would contact my personal attorney first for general guidance on how to proceed. You may benefit from some guidance on how to approach your E & O carrier as well. While they insure you, any claim or potential claim will likely have an impact on your premiums or future insurability.

With regard to contact with the lender or any other party, my rule is: Once the "L" word, whether it be "Lawyer" or "Lawsuit" is uttered, all further conversation ceases until I have consulted my personal attorney.

They may in fact "be fishing". Anyone can threaten to sue or even file suit, but to prevail the suit must have merit. The recommendation about getting current photos of the subject is a good one for CYA, but I would not do anything overt until I spoke with competent counsel.

Good Luck

MARKETVALUE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I may be missing something here, but...............

A) I think your exposure is minimal if any, you signed on the left. As long as you didnt defraud your supervisor with intentional bogus and bad info, you should be ok.

B) they dont want you anyways. They may think they do, but you supervisor has more 'assets' in the sense that he had/has the E&O policy and insurance pockets are alot deeper than yours or mine.

Either way its scary as hell. We went through it last year and it was dismissed. it is now under appeal even after the judge wrote a wonderful dismissal thesis that made me look like the person who invented appraising.

Good luck. Hopefully you will come out on top and trust me you will learn more about the legal system than you thought you ever needed to, which doesnt hurt.

MRM

mbrunson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
I am aware of a very well trained appraiser who will defend you for free against any state board as long as you did not commit fraud. Contact him at [email protected]. His name is Dutch.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks