• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hoarders

Status
Not open for further replies.

norapp

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
It's been awhile since I have been inside a hoarders house but every time it's like a punch in the face. How do you guys explain tactfully in the report. Refi on home was built in 1790 and was 2800 sf. Every inch with the exception of the teenage girls bedroom was entirely packed. I try and be objective and picture it empty but omg it was insane. Homeowner acted like nothing was wrong.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I simply state that not all of the interior rooms could be observed due to obstructions. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Describe what is there without using the word "hoarder". The problem is stuff piled to such a degree it starts to affect the property or if there is neglect of the property in addition to just having a lot of stuff.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Under corelogic RAS (Residential Appraisal Standards (page 98)) it is called "clutter". The term "hoarder" is unacceptable since it is a subjective term.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The problem is that hoarding is now a legally protected class with it classified as a mental illness-therefore I doubt a lender would want teh word "hoarder" in a report- even though that is what they are. Clutter is a good word and
describing what the clutter is as well- is it just stuff like lots of objects, or is it newspapers, food and garbage and animal waste? ( health hazard, attracts rodents and bugs )

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
If I were the appraiser, the lender would have 3 choices

1. Do it on the old 1004 with an Extraordinary Assumption that all areas under the homeowner's possessions are in similar condition and quality as the areas that you can visually inspect and that there are no hazards
  2. Re-inspection after they have cleaned it up so that all areas are visually accessible for inspection.
  3. Cancel and pay me my fee.

Last edited:

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
The problem is that hoarding is now a legally protected class with it classified as a mental illness-therefore I doubt a lender would want teh word "hoarder" in a report- even though that is what they are. Clutter is a good word and
describing what the clutter is as well- is it just stuff like lots of objects, or is it newspapers, food and garbage and animal waste? ( health hazard, attracts rodents and bugs )
Oh I believe it is a mental illness and clutter is just not going to work. Obviously I would not state hoarder in the report but the AMC will get a phone call with a heads up. Pictures do tell a story but sometimes you have to see it to believe it.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Oh I believe it is a mental illness and clutter is just not going to work. Obviously I would not state hoarder in the report but the AMC will get a phone call with a heads up. Pictures do tell a story but sometimes you have to see it to believe it.

Email the photos to be forwarded by the AMC to the Lenser, with an invoice for "time $$erved" (time travelling to and from the site and the inspection-to-date), unable to complete assignment "as-is" without confirmation of what the "as-is" really "is".

Request Lender confirmation when interior access and visual observation of the floors and walls etc. is made possible, re-inspection will be required to complete the assignment.

p.s. been there, done that supplemental fees (if multiple trips are needed) are welcome

Last edited:

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I've done many (too many) hoarder homes. I simply state that not all of the floor space and/or walls could be observed due to the amount of personal property in the home. And I include pictures which can be a sensitive issue for the homeowner. I've done enough where I can sometimes tell based on our conversation when I set up the appointment if its going to be a hoarder home. 1) They generally resist the inspection but relent after working up the nerve (a few phone calls and changed appointments, etc.) 2) They tell you that their home isn't going to be clean. 3) I tell them beforehand the lender requires interior photos of all rooms including the bathrooms and they cringe at that.

I recall one where the 2nd floor had so much stuff that you can see on the first floor that the ceiling was actually bowed by the weight of it all. Scary.

Here's the thing with a hoarder home. Because no air gets circulated there is often mold or decay under all the stuff; particularly if they have pets who may relieve themselves. There could be infestation. There is generally deferred maintenance because the amount of possessions preclude repairs from being made. Its may not simply be a matter of cleaning up the stuff and expecting everything to be ok. The photos attached here is what this home looked like after clean up. As you can see there is a lot of damage due to deferred maintenance because of the hoard. Don't assume its ok under there; it often is not. Hoarderaftercleanup1.jpg hoarderaftercleanup2.jpg hoarderaftercleanup3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks