• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - CompStak

CompStak is the only database of non-public CRE information that is free for CRE appraisers. Get access to 1M+ analyst-reviewed
lease and sales comps featuring all key deal details — NOI, cap rate, starting and effective rent, and more.

Home Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhornet88

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
North Carolina
Anybody else have experience with this outfit?

I got the hard sell from one of their sales people last winter. He must have called 4-5 times , so I said what the heck. He said I could turn it off whenever I wanted etc. Things werent slow but I had room for an additional order or so per week. During the spring/summer Im way past capacity and got no use for it anymore so just cancelled. Any who- I tried 2-3 times to talk to management or superiors at that place and asked how they were able to advertise for "new mortgage" appraisal services on their website. Private orders are one thing- wanting to sell your home, divorce, etc. I got tired of getting leads from them that were for "new mortgage" and being forced to tell the home owner that you must order a new mortgage appraisal directly through your lender. I told this to home advisor 3-4 times and they said they would look into it, as its false advertising and complete BS but never did anything. I wish someone at a higher level would put the squeeze on this practice because its not right. Charging "leads" for a service that you know damn well an appraiser can not complete. Unreal.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Suggest you do a search on the forum. Home Advisor has been discussed many times; there is not much new under that sun, and you'll get a lot of feedback from reading the prior posts (likely more than with a new post).

Digger88

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
yea they tried to get me onboard and when i told them their model for getting "60" requests a month was complete horse****. 99% of those are unable to be completed.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I first got the call about two years ago and the salesperson was completely lying. I have had numerous calls since. Some appraisers think it is good for private party work like estate and divorce. If some idiot is looking for an appraisal for estate or divorce on Home Advisor I don't want them as a client.

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
ive been called a few times and said no thanks

Dumpers14

Professional Status
State
Georgia
I ha e over 70 reviews 4-5 star. I do about 12-15 jobs a month at 400 each. I make a good amount of money off that site and the consumers. They don’t just go to your site. They go to these now. I make a killing and I’m glad many appraisers have this same bs attitude towards it. Saves me the hassle of having to compete for work. 15-25 leads a month $400 jobs per all cash. Do the math.i also get many return clients as well.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
I ha e over 70 reviews 4-5 star. I do about 12-15 jobs a month at 400 each. I make a good amount of money off that site and the consumers. They don’t just go to your site. They go to these now. I make a killing and I’m glad many appraisers have this same bs attitude towards it. Saves me the hassle of having to compete for work. 15-25 leads a month $400 jobs per all cash. Do the math.i also get many return clients as well.
how much do you pay them a month? when they pitched me i was told i had to pay a fee for each lead, not each completed job.

Dumpers14

Professional Status
State
Georgia
how much do you pay them a month? when they pitched me i was told i had to pay a fee for each lead, not each completed job.
Last month I paid them $535 but I brought in $5650.00 so that’s a good profit. I also had 6 leads refunded.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Last month I paid them $535 but I brought in $5650.00 so that’s a good profit. I also had 6 leads refunded.
I'd say that was well worth it.

Here's a question which I hope you won't take as being "snarky": Do you disclose in the report the fee paid for the lead? Based on my reading of the Management Section of the Ethics Rule, I think it would be appropriate to do so.

And, a long time ago (early 2000s... which seems a lot longer ago than it is!) when we had mortgage broker clients, my firm ran incentive-contests among clients: Every time a client ordered an appraisal, their name was entered into a drawing. At the end of the quarter, we'd draw, say, three winners: the prizes were something on the order of a $250, $150, and $75 gift card. Most clients opted in but some didn't want to participate. For those clients who opted in, we reported in the certification that the drawing represented a "thing of value" offered for placing the assignment (whether they won or not wasn't the issue; their ability to win created enough in my mind to trigger that disclosure requirement).
I add this to make it clear that I don't have any issue with how Home Advisor is working for you and from what you describe, it is very worthwhile. I am giving you my opinion (unsolicited) that I'd consider a disclosure appropriate in such a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks