• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Home County Wins Mcmansion "prize'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Sounds like they're complaining about their own house. Doesn't look bad from internet distance.
If it's on a 5,000 SF lot they have overdone the mansionization. :ohmy:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
If it's on a 5,000 SF lot they have overdone the mansionization. :ohmy:
Our lots are pretty large after a rethink by fire codes. We had 3 houses burn one after the other so estate lots are generally >½ acre. Only smallest lots approach 5k, 7-14,000 more common. Many large houses went kaput. Holes in wall deep for non-flat screen obsolete TV. Shelves over enter to catch bugs/dirt and ladder needed to vac same. Cheap cabinets, undersized garages, small windows, etc.
Currently someone bought three large lots in failed Greenfield subdivision near me and is building a monstrosity, guessing 15,000 SF. 3x larger than anything within ten miles. Guessing 1½ million easy...on a land tract costing $31,000.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Terrel, that's pretty funny! I loved the "Can this ceiling fan even be turned on without hitting anything?"

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
13080030.jpg 13080030b.jpg

I see too many of these. Especially on rainy days.

Last edited:

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
It is a design hodge-podge and functionally goofy. What were they thinking?

Can't help myself when I see weird architectural references and uses of materials. Like many places without masonry stacks, where they have insulated metal exhaust pipes and they build a chase to simulate a stack but side it in wood or vinyl clapboard. Just bugs me to see a combustible combustion exhaust means. So it is good that I am riding around alone and not subjecting anyone (but you, hah) to this sort of observation.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Currently someone bought three large lots in failed Greenfield subdivision near me and is building a monstrosity, guessing 15,000 SF. 3x larger than anything within ten miles. Guessing 1½ million easy...on a land tract costing $31,000.

:rof:

Nice land to value ratio. Or land to construction cost. Should have built it on some acres if they had to go so big. :leeann2:

$275 to appraise it. :leeann:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Bad pix, sun low and behind... still UC & one nearby...only one in s/d not all brick ven
IMGP3848 (Medium).JPG IMGP3855 (Medium).JPG

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Another dandy
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/299-Lake-Rd_Ballston-Lake_NY_12019_M39843-39127

201523038_4.jpg

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Out where I work, there are some true McMasions, many built in the mid to late 1990s, when the market was taking off. There are many of these 4,000-7,000 sq.ft. homes that just have a lot of space; basic stock materials, and limited detail work. Many of them are located in expensive neighborhoods, and many are being bulldozed when they are purcahsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks