• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - CompStak

CompStak is the only database of non-public CRE information that is free for CRE appraisers. Get access to 1M+ analyst-reviewed
lease and sales comps featuring all key deal details — NOI, cap rate, starting and effective rent, and more.

Home Owner Checklist - Do Or Don't?

MadamPresident

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Hi!
So I am a little new at this, so I apologize in advance if more experienced Appraisers find this repetitive or annoying...

The other day I went on an inspection with my Supervisor Appraiser. While we were inspecting the house the home owner had a ton of questions. (Mainly about nothing) I thought it might be a good idea to give the home owner a checklist for them to fill out while I did my inspection. Mainly to keep them occupied. Most home owners are just nervous, and when people get nervous they typically talk non-stop. The checklist would be of updates/renovations completed on the property or things they feel I should know. This would be a very simple, clean, self explanatory checklist. Anyone out there used this method before? Or what are your thoughts? If you have done this - does it work? Anyone willing to share their checklist?

I figured I could preoccupy the home owner while they list valuable information at the same time?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your comments/feedback.

MP

ICT RE

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kansas
I think it sounds like a fine idea. Have a spot for them to sign and date it too and you enjoy a little bit of CYA factor as well.

Last edited:

hillbillyman

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
West Virginia
I suspect they will want to talk regardless of what you hand to them. Maybe inform the owner you need to walk through and take notes and when done you might have questions and at that point they can provide any information they feel relevant. That its best you go through without because its hard to do your job and listen, too. If they will fill out an information sheet go for it. It's worth a try.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Hi!
So I am a little new at this, so I apologize in advance if more experienced Appraisers find this repetitive or annoying...

The other day I went on an inspection with my Supervisor Appraiser. While we were inspecting the house the home owner had a ton of questions. (Mainly about nothing) I thought it might be a good idea to give the home owner a checklist for them to fill out while I did my inspection. Mainly to keep them occupied. Most home owners are just nervous, and when people get nervous they typically talk non-stop. The checklist would be of updates/renovations completed on the property or things they feel I should know. This would be a very simple, clean, self explanatory checklist. Anyone out there used this method before? Or what are your thoughts? If you have done this - does it work? Anyone willing to share their checklist?

I figured I could preoccupy the home owner while they list valuable information at the same time?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your comments/feedback.

MP
Just ask them what work they have done on/in the property in the last 10 years, and ask them for copies of the receipts. While they are searching for the receipts you can take a picture of, you can finish your inspection.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i always send out a little questionnaire i developed to every homeowner and agent prior to my inspection. that gives them time to think about improvements/upgrades/repairs/etc and gives me better results. when i arrive the first thing i do is go over the sheet with them (they typically remember at least one more thing they haven't listed). i personally don't have a problem with anyone following me while i do my inspection but giving them something to do makes them feel like they are more a part of the process vs someone just watching from the outside, and having them fill out the sheet it stops them from pointing out all those things again while on the inspection (like the brand new switch plates and the 2 new ceiling fans).

it can also help on the backside. once had a borrower complain to my client that i did not give them credit for about 10 items on the appraisal. i sent the sheet the borrower filled out to the lender that had the exact same words in the same layout as my appraisal did at the bottom of page 1. amazingly the borrower's letter list the same 10 items, in the same order, as my report and the sheet they filled out. never heard a word about it again from my client and we are still going strong today many, many years later.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Excellent Idea! Go for it! I always ask them to write out repairs and upgrades etc. I have not used a Questionnaire ...but I think i will start.

ket

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
I am sorry but I am new to forums. I am not sure how to ask a question. I figured I would add it here and you all would let me know if it's correct.

I own a house with a walk out basement. It was built in 1970 with a garage cut out made into the foundation. It was used as a garage until it was sold and the new owner covered it up with treated wood due to local code. There is no driveway down to the door but there is a double gate that allows for easy access to it by truck or car. I was thinking about putting garage door in or a large double steel door to store a classic car inside. If I do finish this area (to code) and put a double steel door in large enough to fit a car will an appraiser consider it a garage? St Clair County Illinois is the location

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
I'm pleasant, more than willing to chat, but I'm in and out. I don't need the HO completing a checklist. I don't engage in 'appraisal chat' with the HO because I've heard what "the last appraiser said" by the HO and what they think they heard, like, "The last appraiser said I should remodeled my kitchen and it would add $25,000. Was he right?"

ket,
Show us a picture and we can opine if its garage worthy.

Overimprovement

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
I have an update/renovation checklist that I go thru with orally with owners that includes: Exterior (roof, HVAC system-what elements specifically, siding, windows, gutters, porches/patios/decks, and grounds updates (landscaping, etc), and any outbuildings (age, etc). Interior (paint, flooring, fixtures, doors/trim, kitchen (each item), and bathrooms. If any major renovations have occurred, I pinpoint what---new sheetrock, electrical, plumbing, ductwork, etc.

While I can observe the actual condition of things, I nonetheless am often surprised how physically old or young things are. I find the higher the quality of items in general, the longer they look in C2 or C3 condition.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
You have a checklist to keep them occupied. I give them a coloring book and crayons and tell them to stay between the lines.
Kidding!
I think it is a great idea and see nothing wrong with it.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks