• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Homeowner Ejected From My Office !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It started the other day with a mix up in appointment times. Property owner was arrogant, obnoxious, and pushy all during the inspection. My secretary apologized 3 times for the mistake in scheduling, but that wasn't good enough. Then it came time to be paid (collect at the door) and guess what - he dosn't have money and claims secretrary told him $275 not $300 (during the time she was making the appointment he tried to dictate the fee at $275 not $300, but that didn't fly). Later that day he
calls office and says he's not sure if he's going through
with the loan, and he is advised that no paper work will
be done until he and lender get their acts together. He calls this morning and say he is doing the loan. Ok, fine
but now we need to see the $$$. Ok, he's on his way with cash...hmm.. that's good as long as it's American
Green (he's Russian and we don't accept rubles). He arrives with a more arrogant and pushy attitude than he had at the property. We give him a handwritten receipt
for the $$$, but that's not good enough (implying we are rip off artists), so now we have type out a receipt on the computer at which time he starts yelling at us to hurry it along. He's told to take a seat and relax, at which point he starts yelling even louder......ok that's it, I went ballistic and told him to get the %$%#@ out !!!! :eek:

I immediately called lender and explained situation. Lender says OK no problem, but please finish report
and bill us....hmmm. I told lender I'm deducting $100,000
off value based upon the principle that ya don't **** off the appraiser. :angry:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
There are those people who subscribe to the notion that putting the appraiser on the defensive is actually helpful to their interests. Since appraisers assert that their personal interests aren't a factor in an appraisal, some appraisers will give these idiots the benefit of the doubt just to avoid further conflict. An alternative outcome (by their thinking) can be to imply the appraiser is getting personal if the appraisal doesn't come in at value. Kinda like plausible deniability.

I've never seen this ploy actually work, at least not so far, but I have had this game run on me before. The way they usually do it is to either imply that I'm a rookie or otherwise not very good at what I do, or misinterpret my customary aloofness and personal detachment as hostility. This is not to say that I'm not civil, polite and even friendly to these guys, but I don't let them get going too far into the "Let's dream a little dream together"-line of thinking before I disconnect.

If I think there's going to be a hassle of any sort, I usually call my client immediately to give them a progress report. I learned a long time ago that if there is any friction between the borrower and myself that my clients should hear my side of it first, before the borrower calls to complain. Forewarned is forearmed in this case. I've found that being a little proactive and putting the conflict into perspective as far as the appraisal issues are concerned goes a long way toward mitigating anything these borrower might say after the fact. It's worked really well so far. I've even seen a couple borrowers get cut off for this kind of behavior.

liznindy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Good for you Joe! I am sure your secretary loves you for sticking up for her as well! I guess pushy jerks come in all nationalities!

I received a nasty note from a homeowner who informed me the appraisal report was "A BAD APPRAISAL" and they didn't want to pay for it. Why was it a "bad" appraisal? I'll let you guess$$$$. ;)

I did not respond as they are not my client. Oh, by the way, the check for the appraisal fee was included along with the note. I guess the client had asked them to send me a check, although I faxed the unpaid invoice to the lending institution.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I had a builder of a new home following me around while I was doing the inspection. She was a real jerk, being very rude and obnoxious. When I finished, I called the lender and advised her to talk to her builder friend. I told her that I was not going to do anything but that it wasn't wise to #$#% off the appraiser.

Roger

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
I think it's safe to say that the Russian mob won't be running Staten Island any time soon. :)

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
So did you get paid then or did he refuse to pay without "his" type of receipt?
If the deal was COD at the door than I would stick to my guns and not wait for the Lender to pay. IF Not...

Just jab the poker in a little further and twist a little more..

I like these people.. they are fun to mess with... I call it the Napolean Syndrome.

Small man.. Assumes Great Power.. Gets it in the "End"! :rofl: :beer:

Originally posted by Bobby Bucks@Jun 24 2003, 04:15 PM
I think it's safe to say that the Russian mob won't be running Staten Island any time soon. :)
Russian mob ? I didn't think of that when I threw him out :eek: Better have somebody start my car when I leave office tonight :(

Red Blumenstock

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Originally posted by Joe Birrell (NY)@Jun 24 2003, 11:57 AM
It started the other day with a mix up in appointment times. Property owner was arrogant, obnoxious, and pushy all during the inspection. My secretary apologized 3 times for the mistake in scheduling, but that wasn't good enough. Then it came time to be paid (collect at the door) and guess what - he dosn't have money and claims secretrary told him $275 not $300 (during the time she was making the appointment he tried to dictate the fee at $275 not $300, but that didn't fly). Later that day he
calls office and says he's not sure if he's going through
with the loan, and he is advised that no paper work will
be done until he and lender get their acts together. He calls this morning and say he is doing the loan. Ok, fine
but now we need to see the $$$. Ok, he's on his way with cash...hmm.. that's good as long as it's American
Green (he's Russian and we don't accept rubles). He arrives with a more arrogant and pushy attitude than he had at the property. We give him a handwritten receipt
for the $$$, but that's not good enough (implying we are rip off artists), so now we have type out a receipt on the computer at which time he starts yelling at us to hurry it along. He's told to take a seat and relax, at which point he starts yelling even louder......ok that's it, I went ballistic and told him to get the %$%#@ out !!!! :eek:

I immediately called lender and explained situation. Lender says OK no problem, but please finish report
and bill us....hmmm. I told lender I'm deducting $100,000
off value based upon the principle that ya don't **** off the appraiser. :angry:
Joe,

I completely understand your frustration, but maybe it would be best to sleep on it overnight and then take another look. It isn't wise to tell anyone else that you are knocking off $100,000. if that is what you really did. This indicates that you are not unbiased. In fact it would be difficult under any circumstances to claim lack of bias after all of this.

I had a situation like this several years ago, involving a divorce case. I called the attorney who hired me and got permission to call the other attorney and explain that I was withdrawing due to the impossible attitude of the homeowner. Both understood and agreed that I would appear biased if I did complete the appraisal and attempt to testify, so I got off the hook. I suggest that you might want to do the same in this case. It isn't worth the $300.00.

Red

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Red is right. It is never funny to joke about your appraised value or "don't **** off the appraiser". Any time you do, it plants a seed that you are biased. Whether you are joking or not, it can come back to haunt you. The prosecuting attorney will not let you add, 'I was only joking", he will only get you to admit you said it and nothing more. And, somewhere, someone will use your words against you because it benefits them.

Now, if I can only practive what I preach.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks