• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Hooked up new monitor.can't get into cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I hooked up my new 22" wide screen, but can't get to the computer/data for some reason. The monitor states "Not Optimal Mode: Recommended Mode: 1680 x 1050 60Hz. It's strange, because I set the cpu to this when I originally installed the monitor, but now, I can't get into the cpu. Can someone please help? I can see the cpu boot up, etc...and I can push F10 if needed at the beginning of boot. Should I do this? How can I get into my cpu? Rex or Randall, I hope you guys are out there!

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
If machine won't boot w/new monitor, use old one & see if it boots.
If it boots OK, try new monitor again.
If it won't boot w/old monitor - something got screwy by coincidence ??
If that's the case -- You could try to boot to SAFE MODE...and run System Restore -- clcik on HELP at Start menu.
BTW are you running XP or Vista ??

sos

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Is your screen resolution set to 1680x1050 in Display Properties?

Also did you update the drivers?

sos

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
If it is a digital screen the setting is 60Hz, this is the native setting.

This information comes from one of the monitor companies:

You can see this message when the signal from the video card exceeds the maximum resolution and frequency that the monitor can handle properly.

Adjust the maximum resolution and frequency that the monitor can handle properly.

If the display exceeds SXGA or 75 Hz, a "Not Optimum Mode","Recommended Mode 1680 x 1050 60 Hz" message is displayed. If the display exceeds 85 Hz, the display will work properly but the "Not Optimum Mode","Recommended Mode 1680 x 1050 60 Hz" message appears for one minute and then disappears.
Please change to the recommended mode during this one-minute period.
(The message is displayed again if the system is rebooted.)

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I am running XP. The problem is, I can't get into the cpu to change or look at anything at all. It did this 3-4 days ago, but when I rebooted, it worked fine. Now it's stuck again and I have rebooted 5-6 times to no avail. How can I get into the cpu to make adjustments?

And, when I first boot it up, it's saying I only have 512mb, however, I just installed 2-1GB sticks of RAM. I have a total of 2.5 in the box???

And once it did a disk check and said something like BIOS DIMM needs to match or something like that. The BIOS is showing 1024mb in "A" and another 256mb in "A". Then, the same thing for "B". Should both A's be 1024, and both B's be 2456? .......This was a first, and I didn't write it down. Any ideas?

And, I installed the CD that came with the monitor and assume it downloaded the correct drivers. Not sure though. As you can see, I need HELP?!?!?!

Last edited:

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
How do you download the new drivers? And, will this make the picture clearer?/

And this is strange.........I can log onto my desktop via logmein from my laptop, and see everything. BUT, when I went to my desktop cpu, I can't see anything. It's just a blank blue screen!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Cigar

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
And, when I first boot it up, it's saying I only have 512mb, however, I just installed 2-1GB sticks of RAM. I have a total of 2.5 in the box???
Hopefully those two 1GB sticks are matched sticks? If so try removing the 512MB and see what happens with just the two matched sticks.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Yes, they are matched (if you mean DDR333, etc...)

Cigar

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
I've heard that you should always buy matched sticks, not two unmatched sticks even the same brand. If you installed those two new sticks (even if they are matched) with the older 512MB that could be the problem. It's easy to pull the old or the new ones to see what happens, worth a try anyway.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I will try in the morning. I fixed the monitor for the time being. For some odd reason, the computer was looking for the 2nd, dual monitor. It was stretching everything out so wide I couldn't see anything. I need some help tweaking this thing out. Right now, when typing, the fonts look black, green, and blue when typing. I think there is some tweaking out that needs to be done.......any help? And how do I know if I have the newest drivers for the new video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks