• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hooks for the end of tape measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I'm sure most of you have seen advertised the hooks for your tape measure...so you can hang your tape off almost anything. The one I bought cost $5+ plus shipping. It works great. It is actually a 4 1/2" long, 1/4" diameter cotter pin...bent to look like a lower case 'h'. Well this morning I went to a nut/bolt distributer. I bought 10 of those cotter pins for a total of $2.00. 20 cents to $5+.....not a bad markup for a little plyer work.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
Good Job, TE :D
I've had one since 1988. When my husband first saw it he asked me why I paid $3 for that cotter pin :?: I told him that if he had thought of it, maybe we'd be millionaires! :D I love that thing (the husband's nice, too) :lol:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I just cut my own from a wire hanger. Just a little wire cutter and plier work. Free :lol:

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
I suppose I'm frugal to the max. I've been using an ice pick for the last 5 years. I simply stick it thorugh that metal ring at the end of the tape right into the ground and walk. A screw driver will also suffice. It's accurate within 1 inch even if I'm 10 feet from a corner with lots of shrubbery.....other bonuses with an ice pick are it comes in handy with surly loan officers and sassy home owners.....when challenged they back down in hurry.......try doing that with a disto. :)

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
I suppose I'm frugal to the max. I've been using an ice pick for the last 5 years. I simply stick it thorugh that metal ring at the end of the tape right into the ground and walk.

Not that screw drivers don't do the job, but isn't that just one more thing to hold on to? I'm sure it's whatever each one of us is accustomed to using, but with the cotter pin, it's always dangling on the end of the tape measure. It either stabs in the ground, or hooks around the vinyl siding. Brick exterior works good, too, because if you keep the tape tight, it stays on that corner pretty good. There is a down side, though: Cats like to swipe at it and think you're playing, and little kids (cute little devils) like to grab on to it and see if it unwinds the tape. :D

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
The corners on pole buildings are the absolute worst thing to try and hang your tape to. I've considered duct tape but generally end up breaking a stick off and jamming it into the ground. I do have a big old screw driver in the box in the car but then you have to walk back, take it out of the ground, clean it off and stick it in your rear pocket. I usually then forget it is in my pocket until I try to get back into the car.

I don't like to measure pole buildings.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I use a regular appraisers tape sold by Forestry Suppliers of Mississippi. The tape cost about $8 extra over a regular tape, but has a double hook coated with plastic - This hooks very well on most corners. Rock is the most difficult to keep the hooks on. Even slick Vinyl corners are a snap. Works so good that i often have to go back and unhook it on long stretches because the slack is heavy enough to keep it hooked on the corner of the building. I also use a wheel (large one) for outbuildings, driveways, etc. Long drives can be measured by hanging it out the window and driving slowly. Ditto for plastic fencing, rail fencing, etc.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I wanted to use a measuring wheel but they don't sell snow tires for the measuring wheel. I was afraid I would just keep getting stuck in all of the snow we have up here.

Roger

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
I've used a surveyor's pin for years. It's about 12-14" long, has a sharp point at one end, like an ice pick, and a loop or eye at the other end. Painted red & white so it's easy to see.

The sharp point makes it fairly easy to stick into dry, hard ground, and the end of the tape stays up in the eye, off the ground.

I always carry it, but do not use it if I can attatch to the building I am measuring.

While I have never had to use it, I feel better knowing I have some sort of defense in my hand if I meet up with that mean dog (or other critter) when I walk around a corner. I think that a sharp jab in an eye or nose would slow down any dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks