• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hot Tub Ozonators Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearslide

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Getting ready to do a walk-through for an FHA appraisal. I have been in the home before - lovely home, fairly new, no problems, no issues - at least not last time. EXCEPT - they have a heated sunroom off the back of the house, which opens into the kitchen and from there to bedrooms. They have just installed the same model hot tub I have, which has an ozonator - and a powerful one. I asked her if the room was vented and she said no.

Apparently, whoever installed it did not know or did not tell her that ozonators should not be run indoors without adequate ventilation - the ozone released into the air can cause breathing problems, particularly to the elderly and small children - both of whom reside in the house.

Does this rise to the level of safety concerns? How would you seasoned FHA dogs handle this? Any input would be appreciated.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Health and safety???Yes..othrerwise no.Appraiser makes the call..

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If you are aware that it may constitute a health or safety hazard, you probabaly should report it. But you can take it to an extreme. Do you comment in reports when a house uses gas for heating or cooking whether there is a Carbon Monoxide detector and if it works? Do you check smoke detectors in an FHA inspection? Conventional?

The Dog

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Getting ready to do a walk-through for an FHA appraisal. I have been in the home before - lovely home, fairly new, no problems, no issues - at least not last time. EXCEPT - they have a heated sunroom off the back of the house, which opens into the kitchen and from there to bedrooms. They have just installed the same model hot tub I have, which has an ozonator - and a powerful one. I asked her if the room was vented and she said no.

Apparently, whoever installed it did not know or did not tell her that ozonators should not be run indoors without adequate ventilation - the ozone released into the air can cause breathing problems, particularly to the elderly and small children - both of whom reside in the house.

Does this rise to the level of safety concerns? How would you seasoned FHA dogs handle this? Any input would be appreciated.

Here is a website that is full of information.

http://www.rhtubs.com/indoor-ozone-danger.htm

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Thanks for thinking to post that, Dog. That is one of the sites I got my information from when we were installing our hot tub. LOLOLOL - also is where I purchase a lot of my supplies. Excellent site for hot tub info.

Our solution was to put in a wall mounted vent fan with a timer, set to the same times the hot tub ozonator is running. I set the cycles so that, for the most part, it's running when I am here. I crack a window slightly to allow the fan to bring in fresh air. When I'm not here, it's still pulling air through and out of the room from the rest of the house. My husband has asthma, so this was a real concern to us.

Works very nicely - no ozone smell in the room and very little heat (or cooling) loss. And, the fan does double duty - when someone is actually using the hot tub, the fan vents the moisture outside.

Last edited:

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
It should be a crime to put a hot tub inside. They are designed to be enjoyed outside, soaking under the stars and open sky.

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
It should be a crime to put a hot tub inside. They are designed to be enjoyed outside, soaking under the stars and open sky.

:rof: Not with my neighbors..............but there is a big skylight..........and a tv, and a cd player, and a wine frig. Ah yes - and total privacy!

And thinking about it - not with her neighbors either:icon_mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks