• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hotel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad Wizard

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Are any appraisers now using the new Summary Operating Statement per the revised 10th edition of the Uniform System of Accounts for the Lodging Industry (USALI)?

All accountants, analysts, lawyers, managers, investors, etc. are now using it (since the beginning of 2008). If everyone else is using it, why would we not?

Here's a link to the change

http://www.hotelmotel.com/hotelmote...e/detail/480155?contextCategoryId=1260&ref=25

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
The last time I checked, most all major flags used the same categories as Smith Travel Research...and as long as STR is the king in data...I'm guessing i'll keep using their expense categories (don't know if they are any different...didn't care to look :) ).

Ad Wizard

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I am trying to find out if appraisers are using it. Everyone else seems to be.

Abester

Professional Status
State
Florida
I know a lot of hotel/motel operators that do not.

I also note that there is a category for replacement reserves. Not all operators make this deduction.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Dane Anderson said:
same categories as Smith Travel Research
STR utilizes the broad general catagories for their reports, the Uniform System of Accounts for the Lodging Industry actually defines what is posted where and utilizes a more detailed breakdown.

For valuation purposes, the more granular detail of USALI is not necessary, but just like IREM, BOMA and ULI surveys, it pays to understand of what each catagory is composed.

H.B. Userman

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
The last hotel I appraised, I received the proforma from the developer, and it was the same exact format as the link you referenced. I don't think the format however is as important as just being certain all the basics are covered. My mentor always had me break down the expenses one by one which is the best way to do it. Changes throughout each year can be more easily measured and it looks more complete. As far as reporting a condensed income statement, might as well use what the market participants are I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks