• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

House of Worship as Adverse Influence

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The question isn't whether the community accepts the use. The question is whether the disparate use in proximity is of effect on the value or marketability.

If it was an auto body shop the question would be exactly the same. If the body shop was owned and operated by a satanic cult the question would still be the same. If it was a public school or a homeless daycare or a 24-hour drive thru fast food unit with the intercom the question would be exactly the same. .

IRL, the effects on value that I've seen in the past have been limited to pricing *increases* due to proximity and orientation of the structure to the religious use. I've never seen an example yet where it detracted from value.

One of the comment fields in the forms I use is to comment on the proximate uses.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
How about treating it like a race-color gender and religion issues are not part of the appraisal process and the comparables in the neighborhood tell the story of how the market reacts to it.

Stantheman

Professional Status
State
Washington
And how would you do the analysis with no source of comparables?
You could go back in time and find a home that sold around that same "House of Worship" and now with hindsight being 20/20 vision, you can look at other sales that were similar then and see if there was any variance either way.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Easier than that. Adjacent uses compared to their respective non-adjacent use comps as of that prior date. No different than developing an adjustment factor for a non-standard amenity like additional lot area or a tennis court or equestrian improvements.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I try to find a comp adjacent some other commercial use, figuring a church is a commercial enterprise.
See Catholicism. :leeann:
Never got push back with that approach.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Why even deal with it --In this hyper sexist-racist-gender life the reviewer can go F- Himself how do I know if he is not a Plant or a guy trying to get me to break Civil Rights Laws-Its non-sense and I would turn his request into HUDs Civil Rights Division.

CGinMN

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I find it odd how folks are super defensive and protective of their integrity when it comes to location and comp selection in a minority neighborhoods. Never bow to the wokes! But then when the issue is a neighboring religious use you’re all like “Not in this day and age! Not worth the trouble!”

Last edited:

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I for one would not want to live next to a church so the reviewer does understand being next to a church needs to be investigated.
Best to find comps next to a church. You chose this assignment and you should have known you had to find out if being next to church would have effect on marketability.

If you can't find a church, at least find a comp next to commercial influence or to a school which have increased traffic pattern.
I come across such unique properties and you have to find as best as you can similar sales in some ways.
Don't whine about it. Find at least one comp even if you have to go further back in time or further proximity.
I'm thinking like a reviewer. :oops:

sputnam

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
USPAP requires that your conclusions be based on analysis of data. You don't get to assume that an externality causes (or doesn't cause) an adverse market condition. Having accepted the assignment, you have to do what is necessary to complete it competently and professionally... or... you have to withdraw from the assignment. Your charges to your Client are a business decision.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I did not call it adverse or positive. To be honest I did not address it. From the subject it just looks like a nice brick home. Review Appraiser has already said commentary will not suffice. I checked all four parcels adjoining that church and none have sold in the last five years.
Mistake was not addressing it. G Hatch is correct, it is about any non residential adjacent, the peanut gallery wrt race/religion miss the point

If you don't care about losing this client then fight back or impose a charge to search for a comp. If you want to keep the client, now then go find a comp . The MLS does not mention it but you can do overhead map surfing and find a comp next to a school or church.

If you had mentioned it in original report likely would have avoided this whole thing. " Subject (backs up to or is adjacent to a small church.) The church is not visible from the house, and it is a low traffic property and not noted to impact value adversely based on past sale prices of subject. " Then document it with photos, views to the church from yard -I usually provide a similar comp anyway .

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks