• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

House Under Evacuation Notice From Fires-what Do I Put In Report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget Keeper

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
I have a house near a forest fire under evacuation. Evacuation Notice is on the door but the fire is now burning the other way. Any suggestions on a statement or if a statement should be put in the report.

A client has asked for this to be put in but I think it is too vague and leaves an appraiser too open to litigation.

For ALL assignments please add this comment EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE HAD NO DISASTER IN YOUR AREA THIS COMMENT IS STILL NEEDED: At the time of inspection, there was no noticeable damage to the subject property due to any recent weather related disasters, floods or fires. There has been no effect on value or marketability of the subject.

I completed several searches did not come up with an answer so I apologize in advance if redundant.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
There has been no effect on value or marketability of the subject.
My only problem with that statement is above.
?? Are your comps in the same "fire-hazard" area ??
I'd say only local agents can speak to *marketability* - maybe poll 2/3/4 of them? ( !! Make notes for file !! )
Most likely they will say "no effect".
CYA

Slappy

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
The US Forest Service has some pretty good fire exposure maps which may include your area. Google USFS Wildfire Assessment Progam. You will see some data and possible location maps for current and potential fire risk areas. Could be good and credible data to cite in your report.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I have a house near a forest fire under evacuation. Evacuation Notice is on the door but the fire is now burning the other way. Any suggestions on a statement or if a statement should be put in the report. A client has asked for this to be put in but I think it is too vague and leaves an appraiser too open to litigation.
For ALL assignments please add this comment EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE HAD NO DISASTER IN YOUR AREA THIS COMMENT IS STILL NEEDED: At the time of inspection, there was no noticeable damage to the subject property due to any recent weather related disasters, floods or fires. There has been no effect on value or marketability of the subject.
I completed several searches did not come up with an answer so I apologize in advance if redundant.
Are you appraising the house, or have you already appraised it and this is a disaster inspection report?

In any case, the above might be unknown , correct? How do you know the day of a fire if there is any affect on marketability? Ask some agents, don't assume. I might also change the language, to no known effect on value or marketability as of the effective date of inspection. (or if agents say something different, such as area adversely affected, fewer buyers want to buy there now, then put that in).

Ferstl00

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I'm guessing you're also up here in NorCal... I would say just put in the statement they want to see but follow it by saying something like "however, Appraiser is not an expert in fire damage." We are going to be seeing a lot of this for the next 12 months.

D

Deleted member 134708

I have a house near a forest fire under evacuation. Evacuation Notice is on the door but the fire is now burning the other way. Any suggestions on a statement or if a statement should be put in the report.

A client has asked for this to be put in but I think it is too vague and leaves an appraiser too open to litigation.

I'd put in statement and also say winds can shift, weather can change and issues can arise after the effective date. On the effective date of 10/15/17 at 11:00am, The house was worth $200,000. After this date and time the appraiser is not giving an opinion of any future value blah blah.

When I do vacant homes I give an effective date and time. I'm going to start doing this on all homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks