• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Market: Headed For A Bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Having read the summaries (sorry, don't have time to wade through all of them) of various reports, it appears that the bubbles, etc are in areas where the housing prices are greatly exceeding the wages, thus reducing the affordability of housing. The result is if there's a hit in that local economy, housing prices can fall significantly as there will be no one able to buy and many trying to sell. Simple supply and demand.

Roger

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I wish my crystal ball could tell me what comes next in my market. We had a big seller market / increased prices in the late 80's, nasty bust in the mid 90's exacerbated by a large earthquake, and the last couple years a real strong sellers market, crazy increases in prices. County average was +20% in a year! Yeah I know, lies, damn lies, and statistics. B) But appraising homes sold a year or 3 ago and now refinancing are eye opening. Face slapping even. :blink:

Up, down, up... Seems like a setup for another big bust right? But with all the increases in population last few years, and the predicted (how good is that prediction?) continuing increases in population here, perhaps things will just plateau for a while and then continue up again. Housing shortage. And a pretty diverse economy, lots more than 1 industry anyway. So if 1 sector takes a hit, there's others to take up the slack. So I read. Just try not to be in an industry that takes the hit... Uh, good luck there.

A lot of the newcomers are poor, and renting low end digs. Priced out of the market. :confused: Others have seen the house they can afford shrink drastically. Then there's the first time buyers getting an "entry level" home in the $700k range in the Hollywood hills. :mrgreen:

Uncertainty prevails as usual I guess. Thinking about first time buying, so more than just a professional interest. Obviously I'm not talking high end market area, or even close. Any SoCal or other folks like to share the view of their crystal ball or snowglobe? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks