• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Houston TAX Consulting Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

medinaappraisal

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
This is my first year as an appraiser and would just like to know if anyone in the Houston area recommends any particular CPA or Tax Consulting Group that understands the appraising profession and all of the "write offs" we are permitted. I just don't want to go to those main stream tax companies that have personel that took a two week crash course on tax preparation.

-Thanks
:new_newbie:

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I don't have a specific recommendation but wanted to suggest something. If you have never done your own taxes, then now is not to time to try if this is your first year in business. If you have done your own taxes in the past, you might be surprised how similar it is to do them again this year. Even considering the business side, it's worthwhile.

But if you can't do them yourself, you need some tax advice. I'm going to suggest that you consider asking your circle of friends that might have their own businesses for a cpa/tax person. Your friends don't have to be appraisers because cpa/tax is generic in this case. You really should try and find someone that you can establish a personal long-term relationship with to be your tax/accounting advisor. Try to find someone that is a teacher and not just a person that takes your shoebox full of receipts and churns a 1040. As your business grows and becomes more complex, you'll need this professional's advice more often. It's always good to be on a first name basis with this person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks